Chris Rolke
10-11-2007, 2:35 PM
i have been using the DNA soaking method for quite a while

however i have a question

currently i use a 5 gallon bucket

that worked fine when i had my jet 1236

i have upgraded to a jet 1642

5 gallon bucket is mybe only 11" in diameter

that wont work for a 16 inch lathe (ok it will but....)

where are you getting a container to put soak in (with out buying a $40 drum )???

thanks

Paul Engle
10-11-2007, 3:05 PM
check out rubber maid's plastic/ rubber storage boxes at your locale W.. ..T or K ... they come with fairly tight fitting lids, or google it . I have a 16 x 24 about 8 inches deep I use for stuff... er, rather the LOML does :o.

Christopher K. Hartley
10-11-2007, 5:10 PM
I was having the same problem until I obtained a scrap pool filter canister. It has a max diameter of about 22" with the smallest being about 17" I have about 16" of depth and the valve releases the pressure that the DNA creates when closed up. The canister is air tight and breaks apart easily as you can see. Best thing I have found for the process. I currently have about seven gallons of DNA in the container.:) You can also get free pool chemical buckets with sealing lids that will accept about a 12" bowl.:D

Reed Gray
10-11-2007, 5:18 PM
If you know some one that works for a beverage company, or other food prep and whole salers, you can get 30 and 55 gallon food grade plastic barrels cheap, in the $5 to $15 range. I made a dust collector hood for my lathe, and a soaking barrel for my bowls. I do use the LDD method. You will have to make a lid for it.
robo hippy

jim price
10-11-2007, 5:44 PM
new so i get a stoopid question freebee... Whats DNA aside from the molecular make up of genes?

One stoopid question down... how many more do i get?

Christopher K. Hartley
10-11-2007, 5:53 PM
new so i get a stoopid question freebee... Whats DNA aside from the molecular make up of genes?

One stoopid question down... how many more do i get?
Only stupid question is the one unasked...Denatured Alcohol. You can find it almost anywhere paint is sold.:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2007, 9:04 PM
I got one off the big "bay" that is 21.5" across and 14" deep. It has a plastic ring around the outside to clamp the lid to the body. I think I paid $31 with shipping. Holds 17 gals. They have one now with 16 hrs to go. PM me and I will get you the URL for it.

Barry Elder
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Or you can go to Restockit.com and choose from many different sizes and types of containers and also order lids.

Barbara Gill
10-12-2007, 3:38 PM
You can go to Wal-mart and get a large rectangular container, put an ample amount of shavings in the bottom, put your bowl in a heavy garbage bag, nestle the bagged bowl down in the shavings and then pour the denatured alcohol over the bagged bowl. This will cut down on the amount of alcohol needed to cover.