PDA

View Full Version : FS TOOLS Blades - quick review

John Hedges
10-11-2007, 2:31 PM
A few months back I was getting a new TS (PM2000http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif) and figured I'd get some new blades to go along with it.

Up till then I had been using a WWII and various Freud blades, with the WWII being the one that stayed on my old saw most of the time.

I ordered 3 blades from Carbide.com (which I highly recommend BTW).
- FS Tool L55250 (50T ATB+R) $ 47.93 on special
- FS Tool L03250 (40T ATB) $ 51.12 on special
- FS Tool L22250 (24T TCG) $ 76.65 -

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS - All of these blades seem to be very well made with a lot of carbide on them, so they should last for many many sharpenings. I like the clean simple look of them as well.

L03250 (40T ATB) impressions:
After getting to use all of them I have found that I REALLY like the L03250. so much so that when my WWII came back from sharpening and I put it on the saw, after a few cuts I reinstalled the L03250. It just seems to cut a little cleaner and truer. I even cut some birch ply with very little tearout on the bottom. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

L55250 (50T ATB+R) impressions:
When I initially asked about FS TOOL blades, someone commented that they had this blade and while it wasn't bad they much preferred their 50T Infinity blade. After using this blade I do not doubt that assessment. I would not be particularly impressed with this blade as a General Purpose Combo blade, however I got this to use for tenoning to get a flatter bottom than an ATB blade leaves. To this end this blade works very well and I would buy it again for this purpose (particularly for the price).

L22250 (24T TCG) impressions:
I initially ordered this blade because I have been less than impressed with the my Freud Glue Line Rip Blade. I am sorry to report that I am no more impressed with this blade. I would not go to glue up with the edge left with this blade (as I would not do with the Freud). This is a beast of a blade with a .145 kerf (most blades are ~.125). This blade seems like it would be well suited in a production shop ripping thick hardwood (over 2"), all day long. For now I think I will continue to rip with the 40 tooth blade as that cut does produce an edge which is ready for glueup.

In Conclusion:
I know that there are a lot of really good blades out there so I don't want to start a war over which one is best. I do recommend the L03250 40T ATB, especially for the money.

scott spencer
10-11-2007, 3:16 PM
Nice run down John...very good of you to share. I haven't tried any FS Tool blades yet, but most of what I hear is favorable.

Of the blades I have tried, in general I tend to prefer the 40T ATB general purpose blades over the 50 tooth ATB/R combo blades too. One exception is the Infinity 50 tooth Combomax, which seems to hold it's own with the best of my 40 tooth models.

frank shic
10-11-2007, 7:19 PM
john, their melamine blade is incredible as well!

nic obie
10-12-2007, 1:56 PM
I agree about the FS 50 tooth combo. I didn't like it near as much as the Leitz 50 tooth blade.

I am going to switch to the WW II 30 tooth and give it a try as a all purpose blade. My saw has a scoring blade so I am not too concerned about blowing out the bottom surface of the work piece.

hank dekeyser
01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I know this thread is 3+ years old - just wondering if anyone knows the country of origin for their sawblades ? The wwbsite basically eludes to them being "North American-manufactured custom tooling " which leads me to believe they atre made in Canada, or the USA. Being skeptical (and if they're made in Canada, or USA, I would think they would just say that) I would have to guess (like so many things) they're being manufactured "overseas" with their "North American-manufactured custom tooling" . Anyone want to chime in with where the blades are actually produced / manufactured ?? I can't find much info anywhere be it their website or on-line searching. Help ?? Thanks