PDA

View Full Version : MCLS Router Bits?

Rick Hubbard
10-11-2007, 8:08 AM
I’m looking for some advice. I usually buy either Whiteside router bits from a local supplier or order bits from Eagle America (which so far has never failed to deliver an excellent product, though hardly ever at what anyone would call a “bargain price"). I have decided to purchase a set of Shaker rail and stile bits. Here is my quandary: Eagle America’s set is priced at $129 but I ran across a set from MCLS for $70.

I have never purchased bits from MCLS, so I am hoping someone who has done so can give me some input about the quality of the bits they sell (a savings of almost $60 is tempting, but when a product is priced THAT low, I become immediately wary).

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Thom
10-11-2007, 8:40 AM
Rick, FWW #191 -June 2007 tested some 18 profile router bits from various manufactures.Whiteside and Eagle ranked best overall with Whiteside also picking up best value. MLCS ranked pretty much at the bottom of the heap in every category tested. I also note that Lee Valley ranked just shy of the winners and at a slightly lower cost than either of the winners.
Presuming the bits you are considering and comparing are comparable in quality to those tested, MLCS appears to be a marginal quality at a low price.

David Duke
10-11-2007, 8:52 AM
Rick, I agree with Rick Thom on this one. While the MLCS bits are a good "get by" solution especially if you don't know which profiles you will be using and want to get a variety of different profiles, I personally don't think they provide the quality of cut needed when making doors. I bought the 166 pc set from MLCS and still use some of them but when they dull or if it is a profile I use quite often like round overs I have replaced them with bits from Eagle-America.

Rick Hubbard
10-11-2007, 9:20 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply. What both of you said pretty much confirmed my suspicions. ANYTIME I see a product priced significantly lower than others that are similar, I become suspicious.

My dad used to say that buying tools is a lot like buying oats: Oats that have already been through the horse are always less expensive than fresh clean ones!

Rick

scott spencer
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Rick - Holbren.com sells Whiteside bits at a good price with free shipping, plus he's a member here and offers 10% with code "SMC10". He also sells his house brand "Holbren" bits which are priced closer to MLCS, but rated "good" as opposed to MLCS's "fair" in that same FWW test.

I've used both brands from Holbren, as well as several MLCS bits, and agree that the WS bits are tough to beat for longterm quality, but I do find times when the Holbren quality more than suffices. I also have found MLCS to ok for occasional use, but I typically find the Holbren brand to be a better choice of the low cost offerings...it really depends on the usage and needed results.

JayStPeter
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I bought 2 sets of straight cutting bits from MLCS (total of 8 bits I think). Half were dull and a one of the smaller bits self destructed after less than 12". A couple wound up being decent. I never called them on it to test out customer service, just happy I didn't spend much with them to learn my lesson.
I've had good luck with Woodline USA bits, which are also lower cost. They don't last quite as long as others so I buy them for "one shot" type bits that aren't mainstays of the shop.
You can also check out Infinity. Their bits are real high quality and they usually have an overstock sale going on. Get on their mailing list and watch for bits you need. The prices wind up good when you pick up a few on sale for 30-50% off. I'm not sure where they ranked in the router bit test, but my experience is very positive with them. I consider them an equal to Whiteside and CMT. I have had great results with their shaker rail and stile set, but it wasn't $70 ;) .

David Weaver
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I purchased large - well, huge cove bits (close to or at 2 inches in diameter) from holbren and MLCS and both of them turned out to be fine. Both gave a surprisingly good cut quality.

I don't know how long they would last, though - I only ran them on probably 30 feet of wood where a table saw had cut out most of the waste. The cuts were chatter free, line free and first quality, though. No sanding needed.

I wouldn't get "go-to" bits from there, but I would get bits I wanted to try from them. Holbren would be my first choice, though - it's cheaper, and of the two bits, I think the Holbren might be a little better.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-11-2007, 3:01 PM
I've used Holbren and MLCS bits, along with other bit manufacturers like Eagle America, Bosch, DeWalt and Freud. I have no complaints. Never used Whiteside though.

-Jeff :)

Mike Henderson
10-11-2007, 3:14 PM
I've used a number of MLCS bits and have no complaints.

Mike

Cary Swoveland
10-11-2007, 10:21 PM
MLSC has gotten a lot of mileage out of a favorable test of its bits in a major ww mag a few years ago (a "best buy"--type of recommendation). I forget which mag. I bought a number of bits from them, and have had some problems. In particular, I've snapped a number of their 1/4" shank straight straight and solid carbide bits. I also broke a 1/2" shank straight bit. Perhaps it was my fault, but it hasn't happened with other brands I've used...

Cary

Mike Heidrick
10-12-2007, 3:49 PM
Send a note to Brian at holbren dot com and see what he can do for a price on the Whiteside bits - He recently made me a deal on a 7/8 radius round over bit that was close to the price of a Rockler branded bit. I wanted the Whiteside though and Brian made it happen. He rocks.

Curt Harms
10-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I have some MLCS bit as they're local to me though I haven't purchased any lately. As others have said, they're occasional-use-if-your're-not-too-fussy bits. They do offer "premium" Katana brands which do seem better, I used a Katana rabbeting bit which gave excellent results and it seemed to have thicker carbide. I don't know about other Katana bits.

HTH

Curt

Allen Bookout
10-14-2007, 2:14 PM
MLCS They do offer "premium" Katana brands which do seem better, I used a Katana rabbeting bit which gave excellent results and it seemed to have thicker carbide. I don't know about other Katana bits.

HTH

Curt

I have been using Katana raised panel and rail and stile bits and they seem to me to be very good good quality. Most of my other bits are Infinity and they are excellent. Their saw blades are excellent also.

Curt Harms
10-14-2007, 8:27 PM
I have been using Katana raised panel and rail and stile bits and they seem to me to be very good good quality. Most of my other bits are Infinity and they are excellent. Their saw blades are excellent also.

It appears to me that Infinity is equivalent to the original respected Jesada. In fact I think the guy that owns/runs infinity is the 'da'(David) of Jesada. I don't have any infinity bits but I do have original Jesada bits that work very well. If You were able to catch them at a discount, the infinity would be a good choice I think.

HTH

Curt