PDA

View Full Version : completed desk

frank shic
10-11-2007, 12:21 AM
my wife recently got a full-time job working from home and required a new working desk. we browsed through some of the furniture at ikea which didn't really suit all of her needs so i convinced her to let me have at it. $500 later...

the construction is two frameless boxes with PVC edgebanding clad with maple plywood panels which were edgebanded with some leftover hot melt maple, pocket screwed to the end panel and finally attached from inside of the cabinets with screws. the desk top was just a sheet of maple plywood laminated to some MDF i had lying around and edged with solid maple which was pocket screwed. the raised panels were done on a bosch 4000 tablesaw which i subsequently sold in anticipation of buying the newer model - once they start going on discount! drawer construction was with metabox drawer slides from blum. finish was initially with sherwin-williams sanding sealer (yuck!) followed with minwax water-based polycrylic (great stuff). i later used zinsser sealcoat which worked much better as a sanding sealer.

one of the tricks i picked up from the JLC online forum was to pocket screw the end panel rails to the stiles. it definitely cut down on clamping time!

Cary Swoveland
10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Very nice job, Frank. A becoming platform for a MacBook Pro (if that's what I see--nice).

I'm in the planning stages for a desk myself. I'm thinking of foregoing the center drawer--as you have--to keep the top low enough for a keyboard, yet allow enough legroom. Was that why you omitted a middle drawer?

Cary

frank shic
10-11-2007, 1:00 AM
cary, i just didn't want to take the extra time to figure out how to mount the metabox N (pencilbox)! if we actually move into a larger house where the desk won't have to be pushed up against a wall, i'd like to incorporate a center drawer as well as replace the plywood panels with raised panels. there's PLENTY of legroom as the desk surface sits at approximately 31 1/2" high. BTW when my PC has become utterly obselete, there is NO DOUBT what i'll replace it with: an apple!!!

Jon Lanier
10-11-2007, 1:51 AM
Really nice. You took a good crack at it and succeeded!