PDA

View Full Version : Any woodwotking cyclists here? Looking for a stand plan.

Mark Rios
10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Anyone remember or have a plan for a bike hanger/holder, made out of wood, that leans up against the wall? I remember seeing them advertised and reviewed in the cycling mags a few years back.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 8:54 AM
Robert Tarr is an avid cyclist, but I don't know if he's done any kind of stand for his bikes. (a growing collection...serious bike riders are like tool addicts in many respects!)

Matt Meiser
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Robert Tarr is an avid cyclist, but I don't know if he's done any kind of stand for his bikes. (a growing collection...serious bike riders are like tool addicts in many respects!)

You should see what it looks like when said serious bike rider works for a bike company and gets everything at cost, or lower if it isn't saleable. My brother's basement is full of bikes and bike parts and he's got two of my other brothers caught in his web. They upgrade and trade parts like baseball cards.

He uses metal stands, but I think you could design something simple and build it from plywood. If I have a few minutes later, I'll try to Sketchup something I have in mind.

I'll probably be doing something in my garage as well since I recently inherited a bike from my brothers when none of them wanted it anymore and my wife just picked herself up one at a garage sale a few weeks ago. Our garage ceiling is too high for the hooks--almost 10'.

Mark Rios
10-11-2007, 4:09 PM
Thanks gentlemen. This particular holder was/is made of wood and had two vertical members and two or three horizontal members, kind of like a ladder with REAL big steps. (The bikes are supported with additional pieces of wood sticking out into the room.) There is a long upper part that sets flat on the wall and then, for the last 16" to 24" or so, the bottom part comes out at an angle. I don't remember the angle that is/was used and, IIRC, the angle was the trick to the stand/holder being very stable. The stand effectively "fell" against the wall and was held in place by gravity. Therefore, the heavier it was (to a point of course) the more stable it was.

The piece was designed to be a piece of furniture (for a cycling enthusiast of course), albeit not really a fancy one but very nice looking if made from nice wood.

Thanks again.

Ed Falis
10-11-2007, 4:17 PM
If you find a plan, do post. We have a bunch that could use the treatment.

Lee Schierer
10-11-2007, 7:41 PM
Here's one I made for my son while he lived in an apartment. It's made to hold two bikes with no fasteners into the wall.http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/bikerack.jpg

I think I have a dimensions drawing somewhere. Let me know your email address and desired format (autocad dwg, bitmap or jpeg) in a private message.

Doug Shepard
10-11-2007, 8:49 PM
Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I've occasionally seen pics of a type that can keep a pair of bikes up in garage rafters then lowers them down via a pulley setup to remove the bikes. Anybody used that type and have any feedback or a link to who makes them?

Matt Meiser
10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Here's what I've been designing in my mind. In my garage, I'd lag it to a stud or two for safety anyway, so I wouldn't ahve the bottom feet stick out. The box in the back is a foundation wall I would need to get around, depending on its location.

All of the dimensions would need to be worked out, including the number and location of the shelves, but I'm thinking it could be built from a single sheet of 3/4" CDX plywood.