PDA

View Full Version : Wood Working Show?

Trent Flemming
10-10-2007, 9:16 PM
Hello Creekers,

Just curious if anyone has been to a wood working show sponsored by the these people.
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

They are coming to my area in December but their website is sparse. Just wanted some feedback before making a 3 hour drive.

Thanks,
Trent

Matt Meiser
10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
If you've never been then you will probably enjoy it. After a few times though, its basically the same thing. The main purpose of these shows is to sell stuff. Kind of like a really fancy flea market. The prices are fair--no great deals usually, but its a chance to pick stuff up that you might otherwise end up mail ordering. You get a chance to see and touch stuff you might not find locally. I've never been to one of the paid seminars, but one year I did sit through free Marc Adams seminar on joinery which was educational. Then I bought the DVD he was selling at the end and got home to find out it really didn't tell me anything I hadn't just seen live.

The last time I went, it was to the one in Columbus. I found out that a local woodworking supplier (Woodwerks) was having an in-store show the same weekend and went over there. It was free and probably as good as the paid show. And they were actually running some decent specials. They had several manufacturer's reps in, had free hot dogs, drinks, and cookies, and were running their CNC machine making kids initials and showing the adults what it could do.

Fred Floyd
10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I've been to the one in Seattle nearly every year for the last 10 years. It seems that there are fewer vendors now than in the past. However, the major ones are there. Pricing is good if you can get one of the demo model power tools that they don't want to ship back. Do your homework on pricing to be sure you're getting a better deal.

I have attended three of the paid classes. All were more the show and tell with slides and some visuals. Two of the classes were by David Marks (of Woodworks fame).

I found the class/demos done on the floor of the show were also quite good. Last time I learned about spray painting.

Now when I go to the show, I'm primarily interested in the classes and spend only about half my time spending money at the various vendors' booths.

I still mark my calendar well in advance and make every effort to attend even though it is a 40-mile drive.

John Kendall
10-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I've been to the shows in Indianapolis, IN and Columbus, OH and both were similar. They were small, but I did find some good information and a couple of good deals on some woodoworking equipment that saved me about 50% off what I would have spent on a new piece of equipment.

If you've never been to one, it's well worth it.

I did get a surprise when I showed up at the show in Columbus. I got in free by showing my firefighters I.D. at the door. :) They had a little sign up telling folks about getting in at a discount if they were firefighters. That was a first ever for me.

Scott Whiting
10-11-2007, 9:37 AM
I've never done the seminars. I enjoy the show and go every time one comes. The Woodworking Shows is coming here the first weekend in December this year. One of the things we do here in Phoenix is get as many folks as interested to breakfast on Saturday or, for the retired folks, lunch on Friday. It's a chance to meet some people that are only names most of the year and we end up doing the show in groups from the meal which actually makes the show more fun. So by all means go if you have never been and try to meet some folks at the same time.

Randal Stevenson
10-11-2007, 10:37 AM
If you've never been, it is worth at least going once. From there, you will need to make up your own mind, because this groups shows, really do vary from area to area.

My experiences
Our major vender, lost quality stuff, and started looking like HF and Homier tools. They closed down and the show shrunk. It was moved to another location, with severly inadequate parking (they had to resod a new building after the event). Some of the local places pulled out and have their own events the days of the show.
There is some tools advertised (come see xyz), that they don't carry (they have to be shipped to you), but others, that they do have, and sell at the normal price.
Know your prices, last year, it was annoying how many people tried the line, " OH, it must be a mistake, it has never been that low", on REGULAR prices. Never seen demo, last years free ones, couldn't even get close to, and ours is going to have to enlarge space (elbow to elbow, at the widest).
I normaly just go for some consumables and to see if there is anything that catches my eye. I may not this year though as you can see, ours has been degrading.

JayStPeter
10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I've gone to them a number of times in DC/Baltimore. I did one paid seminar which was very good, as I expected from Garett Hack. Some of the free seminars I've sat in on were also quite good. A few years ago there were some good deals there, less so now. It's still worth checking out if you have some planned purchases. You can usually touch all the different brands at least. In some cases, you get extras thrown in. Jointech and Kreg for example, both usually sell their stuff for typical prices but throw in some extras.

Vernon Taylor
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I have been to their shows in Timonium Md. and Charlotte NC. We treated them as a weekend getaway.LOML: is also into woodworking so she was enthusiastic about going. Like others have said the first time is more interesting. Shows tend to get repetitive and the number of venders at the ones we have went to appear to be diminishing. That being said I think you will enjoy going for the demos and thje chance to interact with fellow woodworkers.
Probaly not practical for you but one of the better shows I have been to is "The woodworking Extravaganza" put on by Klingspoor in Hickory NC.Lots of demos and representatives of various tool companies are on hand. Also exhibits,demos,and hands on lathe classes.My grandson got to use a lathe for the first time and is very proud of the honey dipper he turned. I bought several Bosch tools at fair prices with some extras included. This years dates are OCT 26-27. For those close enough to go this a very worthwhile event. The area is bueatiful and there arew other things to do. The childrens mueseum in Hickory is wonderful and Ashville is not far where the Biltmore House is located.

Rick Fouts
10-14-2007, 7:35 AM
I don't know a lot of details, but I heard from my local tool supplier that the "Woodworking Show" company had been sold. The rumor is that DeWalt and Delta/Porter Cable had or are considering pulling out of the show tour. Anyone else know anthing?

Andy Haney
10-14-2007, 8:46 AM
While I have seen a decline in the "sales" aspects most have mentioned, I have been very (mostly) satisfied with the educational component of the show. I learn something new every year. I think you should at least review the details about the show in your area (they differ from place to place) and see if there is something that interests you. Local vendors do feel the need to "compete" on that weekend, and there are usually some good deals to be had there.

Andy

Christof Grohs
10-14-2007, 9:22 AM
Read the thread about the Chicago show. It was a total waste of time and I only drove an hour.

Jim O'Dell
10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree with others that the shows have deteriorated over the 5 years I've known about them. I didn't go last year, but need some things this year, so may drop in. 7.00 to get it, 5.00 to park.
The first year I went, I didn't understand that the prices might not be the best around. They were fair, but I could have saved the tax and bought on line. Many of the manufactureres team up with local businesses to sell their products through. So you are actually buying locally when you buy at the show. Others like MiniMax, Laguna that are direct sell have had a presence and you purchase direct from them.
I did enjoy looking at tablesaws last time. Got to see a General up close, also the PM 2000. That was 2 years ago, and the local General dealer was new to the area, and lasted less than a year in business. :(
The 1 1/2 hour demonstraton/how to clinics were very good the last 2 years I went. Kelly Maher (sp?) is a very personable presenter and very knowedgeable. David Marks was at the last one, but the subject had changed for the clinic I stopped in to watch, so I didn't stay. Watching him interact with the exhibitors reinforces what everyone says about meeting him. Very normal and personable guy. Willing to share any knowledge he has. He and Kelly are of the same mold.
As the others have said, if you are going looking for something specific at the best price, come armed with what you can get it for elsewhere, and be prepared to go home without it if they won't deal with you. Sunday is the best day to get deals. If I go this year, and I think I will since I didn't go last year, I may wait and go on Sunday. If you are planning to purchase something like a MiniMax piece, talk to them long before the show. You might be able to get the end of the year pricing since our show is in December, and be able to pick it up at the show to save freight. Or might be able to pre-purchase one of the show machines at an attractive price, and take it at the end of the show.
Peachtree has had a big booth historically here, and it's fun to sift through all the doodads. I purchased two 8' sections of T-track from them 3 years ago. I need one more. It was a better price then that online. Hopefully that will be the case again this year.
So, Maybe I'll see you there! Jim.

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't know a lot of details, but I heard from my local tool supplier that the "Woodworking Show" company had been sold. The rumor is that DeWalt and Delta/Porter Cable had or are considering pulling out of the show tour. Anyone else know anthing?

The Woodworking Show has run an annual show here in November. It has been getting smaller and smaller over the past few years. The recent rumor is that Delta/PC, which had been sponsoring it, has pulled out, so it won't happen. The supposed date for the show is three weeks away, so we'll know more quite soon.

John Shuk
10-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I've enjoyed going to them. I feel like I've gotten some good deals as well. I'm sure that as I need less and less stuff I might see less and less of a reason to go but they are a fun way to kill a day.

Heather Thompson
10-14-2007, 11:02 PM
The Woodworking Show has run an annual show here in November. It has been getting smaller and smaller over the past few years. The recent rumor is that Delta/PC, which had been sponsoring it, has pulled out, so it won't happen. The supposed date for the show is three weeks away, so we'll know more quite soon.

I went to the Chicago show, it was the last time I will attend. No reps from Delta, Powermatic, Woodcraft, Rockler, Hardwood Connection, or anything worthwhile. It was at best a cheap flea market, save the six hours drive time, entrance fee and gas money. If you must, go to the local dollar store and you will get the same experience... :mad:

Heather

Kurt Strandberg
10-15-2007, 5:45 AM
Can't go in Minnesota, from the website

Woodworking Shows (http://consumerwoodworkingexpo.com/woodworking_shows.html) : St. Paul, MN

Please note that the St. Paul show scheduled for Oct 19–20–21, 2007 has been cancelled. We regret any inconvenience that this may have caused and we appreciate your understanding.

Al Hanson
10-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Not sure if this is put on by the same folks or not, I saw some of the same sponsors as on the can canceled shows site, other than porter-cable/DW.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/stpaul.asp (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/stpaul.asp)

I think this was the one I went to last year, picked up a bunch of stuff, and was planning on seeing Laguna there, they were scheduled but pulled out at the last minute. I was disappointed, wanted to see their stuff in person, but ended up buying it anyway. Wonder how the one in Feb will compare to last years, and to the one that was canceled? Went to one other a few years back, and seems to me as it has to others that it is getting sparser every year. Bummer

glenn bradley
10-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I went to the one in Pomona, CA. I would say it was worth it. I went two days and got to actually lay my hands on a lot of machines that I would normally only see in magazines. There were some good deals to be had but that was not my primary reason for going.

Steve Mellott
10-27-2007, 7:32 PM
Please note that the Consumer Woodworking Expo and The Woodworking Show are two different things. I've heard very negative press (lack of vendors) about the Consumer Woodworking Expo. I think Peachtree Woodworking may be the only major vendor that participates. Have not heard any recent feedback about The Woodworking Shows.