PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade tensioning

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2007, 7:06 PM
I've got a 14" Grizzly G0555. Every time I put on a new blade, usually a Timberwolf 1/2x3 AS, I use the flutter method for tensioning since I don't know any other method.

When the blade stops fluttering, I let the saw run for a few minutes. It will usually display a very small but brief flutter. I finish the procedure and begin to cut wood.

After a few rips of 6" wide green logs, the flutter becomes more apparent. I called Suffolk Machinery. They suggested adding a few more turns to the tensioner. I add the turns. Cut small flat boards, shave off the sides of a log and the flutter is back. Add more turns. Cut. Flutter. More turns. Same.

At this point I don't want to add more tension for fear of snapping the blade, especially while it's running.

I suppose I could live with the flutter but deflection begins to get very bad. On logs I can see at least 3/4" deflection. Something ain't right here.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Burt

John W Parker
10-10-2007, 7:37 PM
I would check the temperature of the blade after a cut. If it's not really hot I would take a real good look at my saw to see if something is shifting or coming loose. I have the 18" Jet and I tried the flutter method. I could never get this method to work. I also got alot of deflection. I tension my blades to the marked scale then I check the tension by pushing on the blade. I have ran my timberwolf blades like this and I have never broken a blade.

Dale Lesak
10-10-2007, 8:03 PM
Check your tires, they could be getting soft.

Burt Alcantara
10-11-2007, 12:31 AM
John, how do you determine what's the right "push" on the blade. I do that all the time and can't tell the difference between the flutter stop and the multiple turns I've put on.

The blade is quite hot after sawing. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

I've checked the tires. They are still crowned and firm. The tracking is right on the money. I'm still using the crudy guides that came with the saw. I'm reluctant to buy Carter's because I'm always on the verge of wanting a bigger saw.

Burt

John Bailey
10-11-2007, 7:06 AM
Burt,

Have you checked for blade drift?

John

John W Parker
10-11-2007, 5:45 PM
Burt, I check the tension by pushing against the blade with (This is a guess) about 10# of pressure. I look for less than 1/4"of deflection. This is probably not the correct way to check tension but it works for me. As I see it, blade tension is changing all the time with use. The blade is expanding when it gets hot. It also stretches with use. So a quick recheck before each use works for me.

Wilbur Pan
10-11-2007, 7:35 PM
One other thing to check -- are you sure that your tensioning mechanism isn't slipping?

Ron Dunn
10-11-2007, 7:55 PM
The voice of inexperience, here ;)

These tensions sound really loose. Has there been a change of heart in the last few years about how tight a blade should be?

I remember minimal deflection, "ping" in the blade, etc. as being the measures. Is this flutter something different?