PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Shave Question(s)

Chuck Nickerson
10-10-2007, 6:28 PM
The sculptural part of my woodworking has reached the point where a cigar shave or two will be quite useful. My criteria are few and hopefully reasonable. 1) I don't need to be frugal. 2) I value ease of sharpening and adjustment over honoring traditional design. 3) I like supporting smaller tool makers. 4) I don't like cycling through try-then-return, try-then-return. The nearest one I know I can try is in San Diego - three hours away.

What are you folks using, and how do you like it?

Dave Anderson NH
10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
For years I've used the old Miller's Falls #1 Cigar Shave. They have a somewhat checkered reputation among hand tools folks. Mostly this is due to improper sharpening which doesn't give enough of a relief angle on the back of the bevel. In this case, the shave just skids or slides over the wood without cutting. The other common problem is not adjusting the mouth opening correctly which means the shave either won't cut or alternately it digs in like mad. These shaves are finicky and there is a learning curve before you become able to get good results. You get there the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.....practice, practice, practice.

Now that you've heard the bad news, here's the good. For concave curves with a tight radius such as at the ankle of a cabriole leg, nothing works as well as a cigar shave. Properly sharpened and adjusted they will leave a glass smooth surface which needs absolutely no furhter cleanup before finishing. I like them so much I have 4 of them.

Wallis Hampson
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
This is a good one. Good Luck. I have no affiliation with this company.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=KT-SPOKESH.XX&Category_Code=TPSP

Chuck Nickerson
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Dave - If sharpening the blade is tricky in any sense, is there material somewhere on how to do it? I don't mind practice, but blind or wrong practice drives my nuts. Shoptime is always in short supply.

Wallis - I'm aware of the one at TFWW. It claims to be a modified design to help with the issues Dave mentions. Thanks for saying you like it. So it's one of the two on my list.

Does anyone know a source for additional blades? If sharpening this beast is tricky, then I'm going to go through a few.

Dave Anderson NH
10-11-2007, 3:07 PM
Hi chuck,

If thr website is still up John Gunterman had a good description of how to sharpen the MF#1 on his wesite at www.shavings.net (http://www.shavings.net). As a hint, making a slotted wooden holder with a wingnut clamp makes things considerably easier.

Roy Griggs
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Chuck,

The Stanley #67 is also a nice cigar shave...that is if you consider it a cigar shave, I do.

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 9:06 AM
Ok...for those of us who are just "occasional" Neanders...what defines a "cigar shave" as a "cigar shave"????

Dave Anderson NH
10-12-2007, 1:49 PM
Jim, the traditional cigar shave is one with a body milled or forged out of a round piece of steel. The MF#1 is round bodied with round handles as are the various modern versions.

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 3:11 PM
Jim, the traditional cigar shave is one with a body milled or forged out of a round piece of steel. The MF#1 is round bodied with round handles as are the various modern versions.

So the "business end" is pretty much standard, but the body/handle is just made from the solid stock?

Pam Niedermayer
10-12-2007, 3:54 PM
www.shavings.net (http://www.shavings.net). ...

Dave, have the rules changed here? Can we now refer to other woodworking sites?

Thanks,
Pam

Dave Anderson NH
10-12-2007, 7:43 PM
Hi Pam,

We can always refer to other woodworking sites. The prohibition is linking to other woodworking forums.

Pam Niedermayer
10-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I see, thanks.

Pam

Wiley Horne
10-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Question for Dave Anderson, or others who may know.....Does the Millers Falls version provide positive bedding under the blade? I have not had good results with a version where the blade is riding on air, and relying only on fixings at the ends.

Wiley