PDA

View Full Version : A work in progress. Whatcha think?

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2004, 1:49 PM
This project is a long way from completion but I'd like to get an idea, from those of you who care to respond, what you think of it? It's a little off-beat, not as much as my Tiger Woman which most of y'all didn't care for (it's now temporarily shelved), but not too far. (At least IMHO) I am not looking for a critique, just a general impression of what you think of it. For those of you who want/need to know, the material is an aromatic cedar branch; at this stage I have no idea of what the mounting pedestal is going to be. Probably something in mesquite. This piece will probably be titled "NESSIE". That will probably give you an idea of where I am heading.

Thank you in advance for responding

Wolf

P.S. Is anyone going to have the guts to say that sweet little face isn't enough to melt your heart?

Bob Lasley
02-05-2004, 3:32 PM
Yup, my heart is melting! Gotta ask, Wolf, did the wood speak to you or did you have the idea for Nessie and then go wood hunting? I like it and am looking forward to seeing the pics of the completed carving.

Bob

Dan Smith
02-05-2004, 3:49 PM
Wolf,

You could also call her Champy... for the monster that lives in Lake Champlain (NY, VT boarder). Very similar beast to Nessie, just made in the USA.

Incredible work, the details in your carvings are excellent. And as far as pieces go, I am inspired by your artistic creations. Think of it like music, some like opera, some like bluegrass, but they are both beautiful to their following. I tend to like both, and that ecletic view translates into my varing hobbies and styles, and it seems the same for the work you present.

So, I say it is really a neat piece, can't wait to see the finished product.

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2004, 3:52 PM
Yup, my heart is melting! Gotta ask, Wolf, did the wood speak to you or did you have the idea for Nessie and then go wood hunting? I like it and am looking forward to seeing the pics of the completed carving.

Bob

That branch was given to me, Bob. When I first handled it, it kind of whipered "Dragon" but that didn't seem quite right. Nessie came forth within about a week or two of the branch lying around the shop where I could scope it out every day.

Wolf

Michael Ballent
02-05-2004, 4:24 PM
Man, to be able to do that type of work!!! Amazing! and very pudry :) Can't wait to see the final version... How long did it take to get it to the point it is at now? Lying is an option, just to make the mere mortals feel better ;)

-Michael

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2004, 6:11 PM
Wolf,

You could also call her Champy... for the monster that lives in Lake Champlain (NY, VT boarder). Very similar beast to Nessie, just made in the USA.

Incredible work, the details in your carvings are excellent. And as far as pieces go, I am inspired by your artistic creations. Think of it like music, some like opera, some like bluegrass, but they are both beautiful to their following. I tend to like both, and that ecletic view translates into my varing hobbies and styles, and it seems the same for the work you present.

So, I say it is really a neat piece, can't wait to see the finished product.

My gosh, Dan, that's quite a tribute. Thank you!!!

Good info on Champy, I just learned something. Was unaware of it's existence.

However, I've got to say, even though you are talking about Champy and not MY Nessie - - - "monster" ? "beast"? surely that doesn't apply to MY Nessie :D :D You can tell that she's much too sweet to refer to her in that manner........can't you??? ;) Back in my old seafaring days, occasionally I would wake up with something that could be referred to in those terms. Ah well, I digress.....

Wolf

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-05-2004, 6:15 PM
The expression on the face made me think of E.T. It's cute. :)

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2004, 6:19 PM
Man, to be able to do that type of work!!! Amazing! and very pudry :) Can't wait to see the final version... How long did it take to get it to the point it is at now? Lying is an option, just to make the mere mortals feel better ;)

-Michael

A bald faced lie or the truth, Michael, I couldn't answer that question. I have worked on and off for a couple of months on this project, in between bowls, spoons and a bear. That's one reason why I posed the question, I am at a crucial point and need to make a decision soon. I will say it is slow going, though, as this aromatic cedar is VERY difficult to work. I am FORCED to pretty much stay with the grain otherwise it splinters badly and the sanding is hellishly slow. It is much easier to turn than to carve. Also, much different than the brown western cedar I have recently worked making the Santa and Wizard spoons.

Wolf

Jeff Skory
02-05-2004, 6:49 PM
Wolf,

I like it lot! As you say it has a ways to go, but man it has character. Nice job on the eye. Did you have to chop away a lot of wood for the fins on the back of the neck?

You wouldn't by any chance have a picture of the branch before you started into it would you?

Keep posting pictures as you go.

I'm going to have to go see what this Tiger Woman is that you mentioned. I tend to like offbeat art pieces. :D

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

Jim Becker
02-05-2004, 7:02 PM
Man, to be able to do that type of work!!! Amazing! and very pudry

Michael, spend some time searching back on Wolf's SMC postings...there is some amazing work that will totally floor you. I'm always glad I'm sitting down when I view them as they are stunning.

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2004, 7:57 PM
I like it lot! As you say it has a ways to go, but man it has character. Nice job on the eye. Did you have to chop away a lot of wood for the fins on the back of the neck?[/FONT]

******* Jeff, the fins and the back of the neck are about 1.5" high so that is how much wood had to be cut away from both sides*********

You wouldn't by any chance have a picture of the branch before you started into it would you?

***** No, I don't. However, it looked pretty much the way it does now. I cut away a couple of staubs near the bottom fork and the little wavy thing on her head was a staub about 1.25" diameter*****

Keep posting pictures as you go.

I'm going to have to go see what this Tiger Woman is that you mentioned. I tend to like offbeat art pieces. :D

*****here are a couple of pix of "Tiger Woman". It has not been committed to wood yet though I have cut a slab of catalpa to use. The firs pic is a concept drawing, the second is a clay mock up. You can see that I made some modifications when I got to the clay. The wood carving (portrait type) will probably be pretty close to the mock up.*****

Keep up the good work.

Jeff Skory
02-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Interesting. Not quite sure if it works for me though. Almost seems like too big of a contrast all visible at the same time. But who knows, done in wood with grain patterns it may look totally different.

I visited your web site. Nice stuff. :) Glad I went there.

John Miliunas
02-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Ahhhh, I don't know, Wolf. Kind of a cross between ET and a llama! :D Seriously, like some of the other guys said, there's just NO way I could come up with something like that! Not even close, for that matter. I really can't wait to see the completed piece. Some folks just have "it". You're one of them! :cool: