PDA

View Full Version : Installing Euro Hinges

Gilbert Vega
10-10-2007, 3:06 PM
I am in the process of installing some Blum hinges for my kitchen cabinets. I have a diagram from Blum on installing the hinges on the door in terms of distance from the edge to the hole. However, I didn't see anything on how far from the top and bottom of the door to the centerline of the hole. I would imagine this is left to individual preferences. What is typically used in terms of the distance of the hinge from the top and the bottom of the door? Thanks.

Gary Keedwell
10-10-2007, 3:48 PM
I am in the process of installing some Blum hinges for my kitchen cabinets. I have a diagram from Blum on installing the hinges on the door in terms of distance from the edge to the hole. However, I didn't see anything on how far from the top and bottom of the door to the centerline of the hole. I would imagine this is left to individual preferences. What is typically used in terms of the distance of the hinge from the top and the bottom of the door? Thanks.
I once read something about that subject. I always put mine between 3" and 3 1/2", from the top and bottom, on center. You have to check the specs but after a certain weight--height, you will want to put one in the middle, too.
GK

Greg Funk
10-10-2007, 3:48 PM
If you aren't using the 32mm system drill your first hole 32mm or so from the bottom and top and the next one 32mm offset. If you are planning on installing a mix of drawer slides and doors then you might want to increase the distance of the first hole to match up with the slide you are using.

In either case make yourself a couple of simple jigs/blocks for the cabinets and doors so the holes are consistently spaced and you won't have to think about it after you've installed the first set.

Greg

Josiah Bartlett
10-10-2007, 4:25 PM
Since the hinges aren't visible from the outside, you don't need to worry about asthetic issues. I would do like Ikea and put them equidistant from the edge of the door so you can flip the doors over and make them swing either direction, with each hinge about 1/6 of the door length from the top/bottom. (So that 2/3 of the door length is between the hinges)

frank shic
10-10-2007, 4:27 PM
gilbert, are you attaching the doors to face frame cabinets? if so, it really doesn't matter where you bore the holes. 2-3" is fine unless it's an oversized door as greg and gary mentioned. if you have a drill press, rig up some stop blocks so that you can bore them easily without having to measure each time. if you don't have a drill press, rockler sells a jig that helps maintain consistent distance from the edge of the door. the deluxe version maintains consistent distances from the edge of the door and between the hinges. personally, i like to bore them equidistant from the edges so that i can use a door on the left or right on equal width cabinets.

BE VERY CAREFUL that you do not bore through the door, ok? bore some sample holes on stock that's the same thickness and watch out for the door's edge profile as you can easily bore slightly through it when i first started out since the recommendation is to bore the hole so that the edge of the hole is 1/8" or 3mm away from the edge of the door. also keep in mind the orientation of the door if you have arched doors as this forces you to have to keep in mind which ones are LEFT-handed and which ones are RIGHT-handed.

SCOTT ANDREWS
10-10-2007, 5:39 PM
Gilbert,
I mount mine 4" to center of hinge from both top and bottom.

Bill Ragland
10-10-2007, 6:09 PM
I install them 5" (center) from each end on 28" tall doors. On 24" tall doors I do it at 4" from the ends. I made a couple of jigs (as another poster recommended), one for the hinges on the door used on the drill press and another for the face frames for attaching the hinge there. Now I don't ever measure. Just set up the door, attach the jig, line up the bit, remove the jig and drill. Perfect every time. This also allows the door to be installed on either side on a double door cabinet. If you measure each time I guarantee they will be different.

Gary Keedwell
10-10-2007, 6:15 PM
Wow, I just checked my kitchen cabs and a couple I made and they are all around 3" from edge...on center.

Jim Becker
10-10-2007, 8:08 PM
I generally have been doing 3" down from the top/up from the bottom for the centerlines.

Gilbert Vega
10-10-2007, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I finished drilling the cup holes and ended up with about 3" from the edge to the centerline of the hole. I made up a jig to drill the hole for both ends. I hoping I can get away with just two hinges. I have a shelf right in the center of the shelf which may end up being a problem if I have to add a third hinge. Thanks again for all the help.

David Giles
10-10-2007, 9:46 PM
If you will be clamping multiple cabinets together, think about where the clamps and screw will go to avoid interference with the hinge plate. I like to clamp below the hinge so that the drill body can go straight into the wood.

Gilbert Vega
10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
If you will be clamping multiple cabinets together, think about where the clamps and screw will go to avoid interference with the hinge plate. I like to clamp below the hinge so that the drill body can go straight into the wood.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.