PDA

View Full Version : Question about Powermatic Models

Robert Huffman
10-10-2007, 1:18 PM
I am very new to woodturning and have been reading about lathes while watching for a good value. I had concluded that the Powermatic 3520 was worth saving to purchase. Yesterday, on CL, I found a Powermatic II listed for sale at about a third the cost of the 3520.

Please tell me the similarities and differences between the 3520 and the PW II.

Thanks for your help.

Sean Troy
10-10-2007, 5:41 PM
I've never heard of a PWII or PMII

Martin Braun
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Me neither. I searched Google & ebay and could not find a PM II. Do you mean a Powermatic 90?

Robert Huffman
10-11-2007, 5:54 AM
The lack of responses clearly indicates something odd in the question - someone here always knows the answer. The Craigslist ad said "Powermatic II Wood Lathe." When I wrote to the seller and asked the difference between the "Powermatic II" and the 3520, the response was rather vague. Seller did say the lathe was purchased from a school 3 years ago.

I have written again and asked for more detail and will post it when I hear. I think this Craigslist seems to warrant many questions and some skepticism.

Thanks.

Benjamin Dahl
10-11-2007, 8:32 AM
if the seller can get you a photo that should help with the identification. if he bought it from a school I bet it is a PM 90 (based on what I have seen schools selling here in GA).

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2007, 9:40 AM
Robert if he won't send a picture or continues to be very vague about his description I would run from that deal. Something is amiss. If he sends a picture tell him you want one of the lathe and the manufactures plate with model and serial number. Otherwise I would head on down the road and keep looking.