PDA

View Full Version : Carbide tipped router bits - new or resharpened

Chris Barnett
10-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Received new sets of well known, top brand router bits from a web source. What is a simple means to determine if these are brand new or resharpened bits from the manufacturer and not new as represented. The carbide is proud of the base metal but not by much, but I am not aware of the amount removed when I might have the bits resharpened at a later date. They look brand new, together with paperwork and apparently a CD on how, for example, to build raised panel doors. The list price was above the list price in the stores, but after various discounts, the sets were quite reasonable. My only other bits are non-carbide so I have no way to know if I should pursue this matter. What started me looking is that the picture of the panel bit shows two corners with radii whereas the actual bit (and the one wanted) has 90 degree non-radius corners.

Charles McCracken
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Chris,

As you may know, router bits are sharpened by grinding the face of the cutters. This results in thinner carbide and doesn't affect the diameter very much. If you know the original thickness of the carbide you can determine if they have been resharpened by measuring the current thickness. There may also be tell-tale signs at the inner most part of the carbide where a sharpener will not always grind as far toward the shank as the original manufacturer leaving a secondary step.

Chris Barnett
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks Charles
Did not realize [and did not think about it enough] that the face was ground when resharpening, which resolves the puzzle about the diameter changing :o . The carbide is perhaps .11 inches minimum thickness, varying slightly for each separate bit. Glad my shop is rather small...would not want to carry that heavy panel bit very far :D .