PDA

View Full Version : Dove Tail Jigs

ALAN L. TINSLEY
10-10-2007, 8:47 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for dove tail jigs?

Al Navas
10-10-2007, 8:57 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for dove tail jigs?
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, Alan!

I am glad to hear you are interested in dovetail jigs, as I love using them to make boxes.

I wonder: What type of stuff will you be making with this jig?

Reason I ask: There are many types/brands, one for just about any budget, large and small. The higher-priced jigs (may) give you capabilities that the cheaper ones may not have, for example. But it seems that people get good results with just about all the jigs out there, and it boils down to budget and ease-of-use, versus purpose.

If you could let us know what your plans are, I am sure the members here will be more than happy to comment. AND, of course, once you make a decision and buy one, everyone will expect to see nice photos of the completed projects.

Mick Zelaska
10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Check out the video on The Wood Whisperer "When Dovetails Cry" . Might give you some insight. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/?cat=3

frank shic
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
that's a GREAT title... touch if you will, my omnijig, see how it trembles inside...:p

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-10-2007, 1:20 PM
I have the Leigh D4 and the PC Omnijig

Fitted with the adjustable rail the PC is my preference but they both work.
the Akeda is the easiest to use that I know of.

Have you tried hand cutting them? It's really way far easier than it looks. There's TONS of information for free on the web on how to do it.

frank shic
10-10-2007, 5:00 PM
get the frank klausz dvd if you want to handcut the efficiently. NO MEASURING - can you say "liberation"?

John Ricci
10-10-2007, 6:26 PM
Chalk up another one for the Leigh D4, but I also have the Incra Ultra/Intellifence rig. Both are excellent but each have their definite strenghths over the other. My .02Cdn.

J.R.

Jim Becker
10-10-2007, 8:12 PM
Welcome to SMC!

Al makes a good point with his questions...what kind of work you intend to do is involved in the decision. While I'm a Leigh D4 fan and love mine, it would be a waste if you only wanted to cut simple 1/2" half-blind dovetails on 1/2" thick material for drawer boxes. It's the bee's knees, however, if you want to do both through and half-blind dovetails in various thicknesses of material and also be able to choose variable size and/or widths, too. Help us help you by qualifying what you'd like to accomplish!

Cary Swoveland
10-10-2007, 8:18 PM
...My .02Cdn.

...which is now worth slightly more than .02US. :cool:

Cary

Brandon Shew
10-10-2007, 8:23 PM
Chalk up another one for the Leigh D4, but I also have the Incra Ultra/Intellifence rig. Both are excellent but each have their definite strenghths over the other. My .02Cdn.

J.R.
While I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I posted a similar question in reference to a DT jig vs. the Incra. I didn't get many responses and I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on each. I'm stuck between adding the Incra Wonderfence rig to my TS-III or etting a separate Leigh Superjig (D4 is a little out of my price range if new).

That same insight should also help the OP.

Cary Falk
10-10-2007, 8:31 PM
I have the PC 4212. It works great for my needs. Very easy to set up and a dream to use.

Will Blick
10-10-2007, 9:09 PM
Brandon, I thought I answered many of the questions on your incra vs. Leigh on the other forum..... can you be more specific about what you would like to know?

Bryan Berguson
10-10-2007, 9:11 PM
If you haven't checked lately, the price of the Leigh jigs have come down, 20% for the D4R. I'd been saving my pennies (well, dollars) for one and was pleased to see that they are now $399 instead of $499. Ordered one from Woodcraft which should be in tomorrow. Can't wait!!!

Bryan