PDA

View Full Version : steel city table saw 35601

Mike McCann
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I was checking out this saw at my local woodcraft store. What are peoples take on this saw. It looks pretty good and they are going to have a sale next week with 10% off anf the 100 dollar rebate.

Dave Laird in NM
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
This is the 1-3/4 hp Cabinet Saw (Hybrid) with a 30" Deluxe T-Square Fence.

Good saw. Redmond sells them for $949.99.

I don't know how much you are being quoted at Woodcraft, but if it's more then think again about buying there. If it's less then take it and run.

Ryan Bess
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Just got the Nov issue of Popular Woodworking. They tested 6 hybrid saws and the Steel City 35601 received an "Editor's Choice". I recommend reading the article, good info on the SC and its direct competitors.

Charles Sommers
10-10-2007, 12:21 AM
In April I went out looking for a table saw. I came across a blog which was very helpful. The advice was to get a Craftsman saw (22104) and add an Incra positioner. I spent less than 500 on the table saw and twice that on the Incra extras (router table, extended fence, precision squares, miter sled, precision rulers). To avoid buying a special router lift, I added the Triton 3hp router. Once you get started, it is hard to stop.

You might want to do a side-by-side comparison of the Craftsman and Steel City. The Craftsman is on sale frequently for under $700 and can be picked up (tax but no shipping).

I wish someone told me to look at the sawstop! Even though the craftsman is great, I'll be switching to the sawstop. I saw a live demo last week and was extremely impressed... The salesrep pushed the board (and hot dog) faster than the online video and the cut was less than 1/16 of an inch.

Tim Marks
10-10-2007, 8:11 AM
I wish someone told me to look at the sawstop!
Sure, $800 vs. $2800. We should at least keep alternate saw recommendations within the same ballpark.

With that kind of money he could outfit his whole shop. If I wanted to spend $2800 on just a table saw, I would be much more inclined to buy the Grizzly 10" slider, which keeps your fingers well away from the blade, and protects you better from kickbacks.

Lets not turn it into a sawstop debate. Thread hijack over, back on topic

Go for the Steel City 35601, it is a beautiful looking saw at a great price ($1000 *0.9 - $100 = $800). Place it side by side with the craftsman ($680) referenced above, and it makes the craftsman look like a toy). That extra $120 is buying you a whole lot more saw.

Mike McCann
10-10-2007, 8:22 AM
Thanks all for your comments. I looked at the craftsman but that was running about 150 higher than the steel city. I believe I will be going with the steel city. nEver made such a big purchase for a tool before.

Richard Magbanua
10-10-2007, 8:37 AM
I have the Craftsman 22124 (the non-toy version?) and it's essentially the same saw and made by the same people as the SC hybrid. Yes, it can be had for a very good price; got mine for $799 with a commercial biese fence. There's been talk about new Steel City saws with real riving knives and granite tops but I just checked and from what I could find those were offered only on their 359-- cabinet saws. The Steel City saw does come with a 5 year warranty. The CF doesn't but does have an in-home service available for a bit more. If I had to buy today I would seriously look at the Steel City but you really can't go wrong with either one.

Tim Marks
10-10-2007, 1:47 PM
I have the Craftsman 22124 (the non-toy version?)
ahh, yes. All the zipcodes sound alike. I was referring to the 22114, which has definitely never appealed to me.

At $1045 for the 22124 vs. $800 for the steel city version, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Never made such a big purchase for a tool before.
You are in big trouble now. You are just touching the tip of the iceburg... before you know it, you will need a planer... which you will quickly discover is useless without a jointer. Then you will see a drill press and a bqandsaw... and everyone here will be glad to help you spend your money.

Just remember, seriously consider going one size up when you buy future machinery (Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry forever).

scott spencer
10-10-2007, 3:37 PM
I've been very happy with the 22124 (http://www.epinions.com/content_184778395268), which is pretty much the same saw. There's a good size following of the 22124, and the vast majority are pretty happy with it. Once aligned, there's been nothing that I've struggled to cut with good blade selection. The SC is a good price with a better warranty, and likely better retail support.

Darren Fast
10-17-2007, 4:42 AM
I purchased this saw about a month ago and it is fabulous. Very solidly built, everything square as it should be. I compared it to the General and Delta hybrid models and dollar for dollar it came out ahead.

That and it looks beautiful in my shop.

I would definitely recommend this saw.