PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sander with DC

Bruce Collins
10-09-2007, 9:10 PM
The comment was made that you can't use a standard DC system for the Festool Sanders. I was hoping to use my 1.5 HP DC w/4" pipe for the sander. Adding another $500 for a Festool sander DC takes the Festool $250 sander out of the "wife won't notice it category". Your probably right but has anybody tried this? I also have a good sized Sears "6.5 HP" shopvac with variable speed - would that work?

Thanks
Bruce

Jim Becker
10-09-2007, 9:17 PM
Bruce, you "can" use a DC with the sanders, but it's not nearly as efficient as with a vac. DC systems work on the principle of moving large amounts of air at relatively low negative pressure (SP) in a given time period. Vacs move a small amount of air at relatively high negative pressure in the same given time period. A small port starves a DC of needed air...and it's the air that moves the dust and chips, not "suction". A vac is kinda the opposite and is better suited to hand-operated tools that have small dust ports.

Yes, you could use your Sears vac, but buy the Festool hose...and some good hearing protection.

Steven Wilson
10-09-2007, 11:48 PM
As Jim pointed out you don't really want to use your DC to collect from your handheld power tools. Sanders, circular saws, biscuit jointers, etc. just don't cut it with a DC, a shopvac is much more appropriate. Your Sears will work but I want you to stand in your shop with the vac 6' away from you and turn it on for 20 minutes. Do you really want to have something that LOUD on while your sanding? (hint: no) A good fairly quiet vac, like the Fein or Festool, is a godsend in the shop. If you're going Festool, pick up one of their vacs.

Tim Sproul
10-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I also have a good sized Sears "6.5 HP" shopvac with variable speed - would that work?

I think it would. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

You can add a Y and a blast gate to restrict air flow from the sander on a standard shopvac if you don't want to spend the coin on a Festool or similar vac. I don't suggest just a blast gate on a single hose since this might tax the shopvac motor and/or have too little airflow for adequate cooling of the motor.

Tom Cowie
10-10-2007, 6:16 AM
Bruce

I use my shop vac connected to my Festool tools and it works fine. I'm still planing on one of their vacs but not till spring. The issue is noise.

Tom

Bruce Collins
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I'll use my shopvac for now and get a Festool mini as $ permits.

Bruce

Bill Jepson
10-10-2007, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'll use my shopvac for now and get a Festool mini as $ permits.

Bruce

Bruce,
In outdoor use I have used exactly what you are talking about, a standard Sears shop-vac. I use a Festool hose with a homemade adapter to the festool hose. It works great with the TS55. I use the Festool hose as it runs over the rail end nicely and doesn't get hung up on long cuts. (8'+)
The shop-vac is noisy as hades but the Festool hasn't been in the budget so far. I would consider one though, especially if you do interior work.
Bill