PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading kitchen - raised panel doors (advice)

Rob Horton
02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Looking for some advice on making raise panel doors out of MDF. Anybody ever done that? If so, how difficult is it really? I've never made cabinet doors before :D

The reason that I'm doing it is that our kitchen just has flat, plain doors on it. I'm looking to add some value to our home without investing a great deal of money or time.

Think this is worth doing at all?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - By the way, we are selling our house so that's another reason to do this. Hoping to impress any potential buyers.

Rob Russell
02-05-2004, 11:02 AM
MDF implies that you're looking to do a painted surface. Beware that MDF is heavy and you can't plan on using MDF for the rails/stiles. I'd probably go with poplar. It's lighter, takes paint very well and is easy to machine. MDF means carbide cutting bits - it dulls steel very quickly.

If you're looking for well made, cheap and low effort - buy prefab doors. You can probably get those for less than it'd cost you for materials and tooling.

The reason to make kitchen cabs/doors yourself is if you want something unusual. Otherwise, there's so much readily available on the commercial market you should consider that as an alternate to making your own.

Rob

Rob Horton
02-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow, I wouldn't have thought that but I bet your right come to think of it. I've seen MDF doors for sale on Ebay for as little as $15 per door. Think that's a decent deal?

But as usual I'm forgetting buying all new hardware since the doors would be changing. That's where this'll really hit me in the pocket-book.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'd better just paint what I got to spruce them up for the new buyers. ;)

Chris Padilla
02-05-2004, 11:08 AM
It isn't difficult but Rob has some excellent points. Birch is another good alternative for wood that will be painted although Poplar is probably the cheapest.

MDF is VERY heavy and without the proper fasteners, it doesn't hold screws well. See McFeelys for good MDF screws (conformit or conformat screws I think).

However, MDF sands butter smooth and take paint beautifully. But, the dust. Oh the dust. You must have good dust collection when dealing with MDF...it is simply unbelievable how much fine, powdery dust it creates and it will get EVERYWHERE...everywhere.

MDF might be good to practice making raised panels.

I dunno on the prefab stuff...it could well be cheaper and easier. Refacing your cabinets might be cost-effective, too. Sears will do that.

Rob Russell
02-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Birch is another good alternative for wood that will be painted ...

Chris,

Birch can be really nasty when it comes to tearout. BTDT. Poplar is much nicer to machine.

Rob

Chris Padilla
02-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Really? I have had good luck then I guess. I used it to make a vanity and medicine cabinet. Check the "bathroom vanity ideas" post in the design forum.