PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this Craigslist reply

Alex Berkovsky
10-09-2007, 8:05 PM
I posted a for sale add on Craiglist to sell my bedroom set. The same day I received an email asking if it's still available:

hello,Goodday i came accress your advert and i want to know if is still avaialble for sale..if so get back to me as soon as possbible.

My reply:
Yes, it's still available.

...and a reply back:

Thank you so much am happy that is still available and am very happy i really want to but this thing and i want you to do me a favour of deleting it from craigslist ...i will make the arragement between now and 3 days time so that i will arannge to come and pick it up all i need is your mailling addresss and phone number so that i can send the money from my office...am buting as an imprest so that it can be documneted...nice to hear from you...send me my request today so that i can plan for the movement.
yours.

:eek:

There is no way that I am sending this person my phone number with an address.

Bruce Page
10-09-2007, 8:19 PM
I'd say...Cash talks, BS walks!

Mark Rios
10-09-2007, 8:53 PM
Along with what Bruce said, I'd say that you don't need this guys money. Wait for a REAL, standard transaction to come up.

This sounds like a fishy scam to me.

Jim Becker
10-09-2007, 8:56 PM
Run...don't walk...from this one... bad vibes all the way!

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Standard scam gibberish language, tell him no deal. I bet his e-mail is yahoo or one of the other free ones?

Alex Berkovsky
10-09-2007, 9:42 PM
...This sounds like a fishy scam to me.Bingo! My first thought exactly. I didn't even bother replying to the last email. BTW, the person did have one of the free emails.

Ken Werner
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
I was selling a roto-tiller on Craigs list a while back, and got a response from an email address called "the house of pain".

I thought a little about whether or not to answer it, but I did. Met a very nice courteous and friendly fellow, who bought the tiller. He told me that he often gets people who won't answer his emails. "Do you think maybe it's my email address?" he asked. Gee, d'ya think? Anyway, he told me his house was always causing him problems, and he referred to it as the house of pain.....I told him he should change his address.

But Alex, I think you are right to avoid this person.

Brian Weick
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
well- print it out, then fold the paper into an airplane and sail it into the recycling box -:D
BW

Darren Ford
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Greetings most honorable Craigslist seller,

I am most interested in your bedroom set. Please be advised that I am willing at this time to offer the generous sum of $100,000 U.S. dollars for your most excellent merchandise. Please provide your bank account information so I can initiate this transfer.

Signed,

Nigerian Prince

Jon Lanier
10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
When dealing with Craigslist I always say Cash.

Tom Veatch
10-10-2007, 1:09 AM
Had a CraigsList response along the line of "I'll send you a cashiers check for umtizillion dollars, take out your part and remit the remainder to the shipping agent." (Item was a 100# propane tank he wanted shipped to England)

Could have just ignored it, but decided to respond with the information that my fee for fiduciary services was 10% of the gross amount and that no funds would be disbursed until after the check had been honored by the issuer. Never heard another word out of him.

Russ Filtz
10-10-2007, 7:39 AM
And it's best to meet in a public place if at all possible! During daylight. Never can be too careful. Of course some things can't be moved easily, so your stuck.

Matt Bickford
10-10-2007, 3:33 PM
You should just give them your mother's maiden name, the elementary school you attended and the last four digits of your SSN#. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, I sold my washing machine on craigslist. I was contacted by some guy that sounded a little strange, so much so that I googled his name. It turns out that someone with the same name is affiliated with some Raelian religous sect. Couldn't be the same guy, right? Well, he showed up at my house in a van with pictures of UFOs on the side. The transaction went smoothly (with cash). I locked my doors for a few weeks afterword, however. No offense intended to any Raelian woodworkers that frequent this site and may be building a vanity for their space shuttle.

Matt

Greg Funk
10-10-2007, 3:53 PM
Sounds similar to the following poorly worded response I received for a recent item on Craigslist:

Thanks for your prompt response .I wish i could come down to your location to come and pick up the item,i live in Nova Scotia but right now am not in the town am in the state with my Grand-pa,am also buying this item for him as well.Right now i will be paying you via bank transfer which is (Royal Bank Of Canada).As soon as you get back to me with your details i will forward it to my Assistant Rep to make the payment for me.Please get back to me as early as possible.Thank you

My Regards
Loret

I told him I was sorry he couldn't come either...

Alex Berkovsky
10-10-2007, 5:06 PM
Sounds similar to the following poorly worded response I received for a recent item on Craigslist:

Thanks for your prompt response .I wish i could come down to your location to come and pick up the item,i live in Nova Scotia but right now am not in the town am in the state with my Grand-pa,am also buying this item for him as well.Right now i will be paying you via bank transfer which is (Royal Bank Of Canada).As soon as you get back to me with your details i will forward it to my Assistant Rep to make the payment for me.Please get back to me as early as possible.Thank you

My Regards
Loret

I told him I was sorry he couldn't come either...LOL... I received two more today.

Hello,
Thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an
instant purchase,so pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist,i dont mind adding an extra $50 dolls for you to take the advert down from craigslist so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item.I will also like you to know that i will be paying via company certified cashier check,and it will be over night payment due to the distance .You dont need to bother your self with the shippment ok,i will take care of that.So i will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential or postal address
3.Your phonenumber.
**Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping.
Do have a nice day.

Regards,
Dr Wales.

Greg Funk
10-10-2007, 6:16 PM
You might as well have some fun and string him along for awhile. Use your local Police dept for an address...

Craig D Peltier
10-10-2007, 9:14 PM
I advertise alot on there in the For Sale. Almost 99% of the time when I put up at least 5 ads or more. I will get an email similiar very bad spelling.Friend will pick up, he will send a check. Its a scripted email.Alot of times it doesnt even make sense.
Say im advertising something to build with many different options. The guy will ask if its still available and he wants to pick it up.
I also will get the same exact email on two different big ticket items in the same day.
I always reply with nonsense.Then another script bounces back. I ask them if I can have a one way ticket to Nigeria? If they want to take me to dinner? Ask them if they know Heywood xxxxx.
Etc.

Mike McCann
10-10-2007, 9:20 PM
Most definetly a scam. Scammers send these out all the time. they do not even mention the product in the response it is just a general response.

Matt Meiser
10-10-2007, 9:21 PM
There's a whole web site devoted to scamming these guys back. People have even gotten them to send real money to to prove they are being honest--and they do it thinking they are about to hit the big time. I can't find the link, and based on some of the things they've gotten the scammers to do, it would violate the TOS anyway.

Bryan Berguson
10-10-2007, 9:23 PM
That must be some bedroom set!!!

Bryan

Darren Ford
10-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Bryan is right, let's see some some pics!

Tom Veatch
10-11-2007, 12:40 AM
There's a whole web site devoted to scamming these guys back. ... I can't find the link ... .

Might this (http://www.419eater.com/) be it?