PDA

View Full Version : some new rolling shop cabinets

Chris Friesen
10-09-2007, 6:31 PM
I just recently finished up a couple of rolling cabinets for the shop.

The first one will eventually be dedicated mostly to power tools, but for now it holds a bit of many things including most of my layout and hand tools. Carcase is shop oak ply with oak edgebanding, drawers are 1/2" baltic birch with 1/4" BB bottoms, with Blum slides so that the drawers can be easily removed and carried somewhere if desired. Sacrificial top of hardboard. I'm considering adding some front doors to keep the dust out. The height is about 32", and was chosen so it can just barely fit under my workbench.

The second was designed to replace my former stationary sheet-metal stand for the drillpress. Carcase and drawers are all 3/4" MDF as I had it laying around and the extra weight will help stabilize things. There is some oak bracing behind the top false drawer front, and also between the casters and the carcase base. The back casters are also braced with some 2x6 buttresses. Joinery is glue and biscuits with some strategic screws.

Jim Dunn
10-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Looks like you made good use of the materials at hand. I like the idea of sliding it under the bench when not in use. Are those fully locking casters?

glenn bradley
10-09-2007, 7:47 PM
Those are great Chris. Like clamps, you can never have enough drawers or pullouts. If you add doors to your pullout cabinet, be sure to get ones that clear the glides or the inside of the doors will get scarred. DAMHIKT. These (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-2501/Drawer-Bumper-10-pack) prevent such things.

Jim Becker
10-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Nice job, Chris...those will be very useful in your shop, too!

Chris Friesen
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Are those fully locking casters?

The tool cabinet has single-locking casters (the swivel doesn't lock). In practice it seems to be good enough, as I don't plan on stressing them too hard.

The drill press cabinet has much better quality casters that are double-locking.

Steve Clardy
10-10-2007, 2:54 PM
Very nice Chris!