PDA

View Full Version : Free Oak

Barbara Gill
10-09-2007, 3:44 PM
I started sawing a really large white oak log today. It flared out at the butt so there are some significant hunks of wood with some interesting figure. Some is slightly spalted. I could cut it into burnable pieces but thought that I would give someone close a chance at it. If you want it, e-mail me. I won't keep it around long.

Ben Gastfriend
10-09-2007, 4:06 PM
Email sent

TYLER WOOD
10-09-2007, 4:06 PM
Dang, is Texas local? Sheesh that would be nice. Someone will get some nice freebies!!!

Christopher K. Hartley
10-09-2007, 4:22 PM
I'm with Tyler. Oak is my thing, but Virginia? Oh well. Barbara, you should cut and seal some and set it back for later..:)

Barbara Gill
10-09-2007, 4:47 PM
I know some people like oak a lot more than I do. Texas... hmm sounds like a road trip.:)

I have so much wood that I would rather burn this than keep it.

Jude Kingery
10-09-2007, 4:50 PM
Hey Barb, c'mon down! You're welcome in Texas anytime! I'll fix you up some killer ribs on the grill over Mesquite chips off the lathe, ha! Although I must admit, Oak's not my favorite, it's pretty, don't get me wrong, but I've found it to be rather stubborn, even with sharpest of tools and then the musky smell. But hey, maybe someone will take you up on it! I guess we always like what's not in close proximity, although I do like Mesquite and we have plenty of it. Burn a lot of it actually, mostly in the grill. Then turn some, too. Best to you. Jude

Richard Madison
10-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Barbara,
We could put you up for the night if you come through Wimberley/San Marcos area. Still have a couple chunks of post oak from previous residence in Madison County, but could not hurt to have one more. It makes beautiful stuff. Will look around for what I might have to trade.

Best I can tell, is almost essential to remove at least 2" of pith, 1" on either side of the center. More, if the log is big enough. Wax the ends of half logs and store under cover from rain and direct sun. Even better to rough turn asap, spraying frequently with water, and wax the whole thing immediately after turning. Before turning, spray lathe ways (and all bare metal) with WD-40 and cover with plastic. Repeat WD-40 and cleaning immediately after turning.

Texas would like you to visit. As the ad says, it's like a whole other country.

Barbara Gill
10-10-2007, 4:53 AM
Boy, there are lots of Texans here. No, I am not taking a road trip; I was joking about you guys taking one.:) Thanks for all of the offers though.

Glenn Hodges
10-10-2007, 9:33 AM
Barbara, that was a nice gesture, and it was appreciated.

TYLER WOOD
10-10-2007, 9:47 AM
Tx. Creeker roady to Va!!! huh, I could pick some of you guys up on the way there. Split the gas and the wood!!! Yahoo lets get some OAK!! Hope ya got plenty of room for us!!!

JK:p