PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of or used Envirotex Lite?

Matt Day
10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
After struggling with rubbing out some finishes attempting to get a gloss look that is durable, I stumbled upon this product. http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

Has anyone used it? By the looks of it, it's probably plastic-y looking but I'm still curious about it.

Howard Acheson
10-09-2007, 9:20 PM
It's a pour on epoxy like you find on many bars.

Matt Day
10-10-2007, 7:59 AM
So I gather it's got a very thick, plastic kind of finish to it. Would it ruin the "fine furniture" look of say an endtable that will get a lot of glasses set on it? I'm exploring some alternative finishes that are durable and waterproof/resistant.

Howard Acheson
10-10-2007, 8:19 PM
So I gather it's got a very thick, plastic kind of finish to it. Would it ruin the "fine furniture" look of say an endtable that will get a lot of glasses set on it? I'm exploring some alternative finishes that are durable and waterproof/resistant.

It's not considered a finish for fine furniture. It's fine in a playroom but not in a formal room.

Steve Schoene
10-10-2007, 8:33 PM
Outside of the spray arena, your best bet for durable and waterproof is simply oil based varnish. Behlen Rockhard is good, and for a bit lighter tone Pratt & Lambert 38 or McCloskey Heirloom are also good. Waterlox makes several sheens of wipe on varnish that take a few more coats but will work just as well.

The pour on epoxy just looks bad from the beginning and doesn't really last very long since it yellows and scratches. I wouldn't use it even in a play room. It's forte is dimly lighted bars, where it can't really be seen, especially after the first couple of drinks.

Things that aren't needed are polyurethane--in single-part form that's just for resisting heavy abrasion such as on floors--or spar varnish which isn't any more waterproof that the regular oil based varnishes. Spar varnish's benefits are that is the flexibility needed to cope with the wide temperature and humidity ranges as well as the flexing that occurs on boats.