PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Plans to Build a Scroll Saw Stand

Steve Mellott
10-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Has anyone built a scroll saw stand that they really like? If so, could I get a copy of your plans? Thanks.

Steve

Nancy Laird
10-09-2007, 1:47 PM
Steve, I don't have plans, as such, but I can send you a picture of my scroll saw stand. It will have to be tonight, as the pictures are on my home computer. If you'll send me your e-mail address by PM, I'll get them off tonight.

Nancy (73 days)

Roger Wilson
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
If you can, post the picture of your stand, as I'm interested as well.

Nancy Laird
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, let's see if I can get them up here.

That's a combo belt/disk sander sitting on that little platform at the back of the SS. We put it there because the SS cabinet sits next to the lathes and it's handy for touching up tools.

Nancy (72 days)

John Thompson
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Steve...

3 point mobile... no plans.

Sarge..

Bill Wilson
10-10-2007, 1:26 PM
Well, I don't have any plans or pictures, but I did build one and have a few comments. First you need to decide a couple things. Do you want to stand or sit to scroll? Do you want the saw sitting flat or tilted toward you? I built a stand for my first scrollsaw out of 2x4's and plywood. Just a basic table with 4 splayed legs high enough that I could stand comfortably. As I spent more time scrolling, I got tired of standing, but my saw was too high for my stool. I adapted, but eventually bought a scrollsaw with a stand. It is a 3 legged, steel stand that tilts forward a few degrees. It is just the right height for sitting and I like the tilted stance as it makes it easier to see and more ergonomic.

So, with that said, my suggestions are to to build the stand to accomodate how you are going to work at the saw. If you are going to sit, make sure you allow room for your knees. If you are going to stand, make it high enough that you don't have to stoop over to saw. I sometimes saw for several hours at a time and comfortable body positioning is very important.

After that, consider adding a shelf near the bottom. Some folks use a bag of sand or simething similar to add weight and stability to their saw, helps decrease vibration. Whether or not this is of benefit, depends on how smooth your saw runs, but worth considering.

Once you get the basic design figured out, then you can customize it to include shelves and/or drawers to store extra blades, patterns, etc. I didn't do anything like that with mine, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

HTH and good luck. Have fun scrolling!

Steve Mellott
10-10-2007, 5:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and pictures. When I finish the stand, I will post some pictures.

Steve

Mack Cameron
10-10-2007, 6:50 PM
This reply is not intended to take anything away from Nancy's stand. I have the same DeWalt SS with their stand made for that SS. Their stand gives the option of lifting the rear of the stand by about 1½" - 2". When I raised the rear of the stand as allowed by DeWalt, it made scrolling so much more enjoyable.

Paul O'Halloran
10-10-2007, 7:46 PM
Steve
If you scroll down this page you will see mine. the saw is mounted on an angle
The frame was made from 2x6 spruce with through wedged tenons.
http://pohallor.fp.execulink.com/tool_cabinet.htm

Paul

Nancy Laird
10-10-2007, 8:27 PM
This reply is not intended to take anything away from Nancy's stand. I have the same DeWalt SS with their stand made for that SS. Their stand gives the option of lifting the rear of the stand by about 1½" - 2". When I raised the rear of the stand as allowed by DeWalt, it made scrolling so much more enjoyable.

Mack, actually the only reason I have this cabinet is that I had an old AMT SS on it that was a piece of "stuff." Blade changing was a nightmare, the blade wouldn't hold tension, lots of problems. So when hubby bought the DeWalt several years ago, we just junked the AMT and put the DW on the same cabinet. Since I don't know any different, I don't know how the angled stand would be for me.:confused:

Nancy (72 days)

Mack Cameron
10-11-2007, 6:54 AM
Mack, actually the only reason I have this cabinet is that I had an old AMT SS on it that was a piece of "stuff." Blade changing was a nightmare, the blade wouldn't hold tension, lots of problems. So when hubby bought the DeWalt several years ago, we just junked the AMT and put the DW on the same cabinet. [quote]Since I don't know any different, I don't know how the angled stand would be for me. Hi Nancy; Try it; I think you'd like it, at least everyone that I have mentioned it to has liked the uptilt idea. It's not that much to be over powering, just slightly, say 1½" - 2".

Bill Wilson
10-11-2007, 8:32 AM
Hi Nancy; Try it; I think you'd like it, at least everyone that I have mentioned it to has liked the uptilt idea. It's not that much to be over powering, just slightly, say 1½" - 2".[/font]

And if you keep your table waxed, you won't be tempted to set stuff on it when you're not using it. DAMHIKT :D

Nancy Laird
10-11-2007, 8:41 AM
And if you keep your table waxed, you won't be tempted to set stuff on it when you're not using it. DAMHIKT :D

You mean bowl blanks, pen blanks, and turning tools??:D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nancy (71 days)