PDA

View Full Version : Does Yellow Glue Work on Sained Wood?

Dennis McDonaugh
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm making a divided light door and want to use short, thin strips of wood to hold the glass in. I'm going to stain the door before I install the glass and then want to glue the strips in place. I'm using an oil base stain and don't plan to put a top coat on the inside where I glue the strip of wood. Will the glue stick to the stained wood?

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't advise yellow gluing when oil based stain has been used. Maybe epoxy, but I'd tape off the wood where the glue joint would be, stain my piece(s) and then pull off the tape, apply glue, my trim pieces, and call it done. :)

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Dennis...I don't have much experience in that sort of application, but from what I have been reading, silicone and glass are always mentioned together. I'm not sure of this but the application of said silicone usually comes from a caulking gun?
Gary

jason lambert
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Yea, yellow glue is water base as soon as you seal the wood with a oil stain it will not stick well since it needs to soak into the wood a bit. Above is the way to do it tape the sections you want to glue.

Personally I would tape the sections I want to glue and also use some pin nails. Also with wood and glass don't make it to tight or when the wood expands it could crack the glass. Putting some silicon in is also advisable to hold the glass sug so it doesn't rattle.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Yea, yellow glue is water base as soon as you seal the sood with a oil stain it will not stick well since it needs to soak into the wood a bit. Above is the way to do it tape the sections you want ot glue.

Personally I would tape the sections I want to glue and also use some pin nails. Also with wood and glass don't make it to tight or when the wood expands it could crack the glass. Putting some silicon in is also advisable to hold the glass sug so it doesn't rattle.

What he said.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-10-2007, 1:28 PM
Well masking off is no longer an option.:rolleyes: I guess I'll go with the silicone now.

Thanks for the help.