PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet saw without a fence

Tony Maniscalco
10-09-2007, 3:20 AM
First time user. Hope you guys can help.

I was wondering if cabinet saws were available from any retailer out there without a fence. I'm upgrading from a contractors saw I bought about 10 years ago and I added a 50" Biesmeyer fence about 3 years ago that's in perfect condition. I rather not pay for another fence if I don't have to.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tony

Stan Welborn
10-09-2007, 4:19 AM
I think SawStop saws are. At least the salesman stated to me the fence was extra when I was pricing them.

Rick Lizek
10-09-2007, 6:10 AM
First time user. Hope you guys can help.

I was wondering if cabinet saws were available from any retailer out there without a fence. I'm upgrading from a contractors saw I bought about 10 years ago and I added a 50" Biesmeyer fence about 3 years ago that's in perfect condition. I rather not pay for another fence if I don't have to.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tony

Perhaps the saw stop but no others come without a fence. Used to work for a dealer and got that question on occasion. It would cost more to special order a saw without a fence. Buy a saw and sell the fence. It's the only way.

Tim Lynch
10-09-2007, 6:55 AM
Delta Unisaw Models 36-L31, 36-R31, 36-L51, 36-R51 come without a fence. Amazon has a 36-R31 (3HP single phase, right tilt) for $1529 right now. It seems to me they used to have some of the other models. You can find the other models other places on the internet. I scored a new 36-L51 off ebay for $760 and it's been great!

Drew Armstrong
10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Ill sell you a brand new 36-L31X-BC50 (the BC50 is the fence) shipped to your house with the $100 rebate still useable for $1600 today so don't pay that much for a saw without the fence.:)

Drew

Bill Keehn
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I think SawStop saws are. At least the salesman stated to me the fence was extra when I was pricing them.

I bought a SawStop and you are right, the cabinet, fence, rails, and extension table are all priced separately. But I think thats because of the different extension table options and the potential of adding a third party fence. I'm not sure they actually intended to sell them without fences, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

I love the SawStop by the way. Although I do recommend getting a better sawblade and a dial gauge and carefully follow the calibration and alignment process for optimal results.

Bill Keehn
10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, the SawStop manual clearly says that you must not operate the saw without a fence installed. Clearly this is is for safety reasons. Maybe they feel thats the best way to deal with the issue. They could insist that you buy a fence, but they can't make you use it. So why needlessly increase the cost of the most expensive saw available?