PDA

View Full Version : Oliver...just short of a ton o' fun

Brett Baldwin
10-09-2007, 1:19 AM
Some of you already heard but for those who didn't, I wanted to show you the best deal I have ever found. OK, this is a shameless gloat but I think you will appreciate it nonetheless. I'm going to withhold the price since some of you may decide the world is too unfair to continue if you actually knew it. Lets just say it was impossible to pass up. I jumped on this find from a craigslist ad that happened to be only a few miles from my work. We sealed the deal Friday but I couldn't pick it up till today. I've been chomping at the bit all weekend. The results are as follows:

1951 Oliver 12" Jointer 5HP 440V 3ph. The head spins easily by hand (bearings supposedly replaced 18 months ago). The tables look very flat though this hasn't been confirmed by measurement yet. There are plenty of wear marks in it but I'd say not beyond the realm of normal. The fence and blade guard look original and in pretty good shape for 56 years old. The electrical items look to be "post-manufacture" but easily cleaned up.

I haven't put power to it yet but it was supposedly in use until recently. I have 3 phase power at work which I will use to test it but that will be a future thing since it needs a good once-over before I fire it up. I grabbed the 15KVa transformer along with it for $75 since it was a good deal and I will probably need it once I get it home. Without further ado...

Brett Baldwin
10-09-2007, 1:22 AM
And just in case anybody wonders what one of these weigh, I happen to have scales at work to let you know...:D

Well since the scaled down picture is murky, I'll tell you that it was 1700# exactly. It was a lot of fun getting into the box truck to get back to the shop but a forklift with extensions have made life much easier since then.

Gene Jordan
10-09-2007, 5:43 AM
Congratulations Brett.
It looks like you have a real diamond in the rough.

Jim Becker
10-09-2007, 9:24 AM
Wee bit o' iron you got there, Brett! Congratulations!

Bill Huber
10-09-2007, 9:29 AM
Now that is a Jointer......

Now if I put that in my shop I could use it, in fact I couldn't walk around it just not enough room.

That is a dandy I would have to say...

Bart Leetch
10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Very impressive but where is the Anchor?:D

David G Baker
10-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Bret,
Are thinking about taking up flying and wanted your own landing strip. I love old iron.

Brett Baldwin
10-09-2007, 3:28 PM
Its going to be an adventure.

Bart, the anchor looks like a square box with wires sticking out and a sticker that says something about 440V-220V.
David, I've already had to wave off a few airliners this morning since we are in the glide path to Sky Harbor. You can understand their confusion but I'd think the lack of lights would have discouraged them.

Randy Denby
10-09-2007, 4:54 PM
What ? no roll around base? :D

Bill Brehme
10-09-2007, 9:33 PM
How many flights of stairs do you have to carry up the lumber before you get to the top?:eek: :confused:

J.R. Rutter
10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Good job! That is a nice looking little (well, for Oliver!) jointer.

Brian Weick
10-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Brett,
Your partially write about the description - That's the old Oliver aircraft carrier, but the only thing landing on her deck is some awful fine wood that needs to be corrected - that jointer is a beast! Very nice Brett- I'm drooling again, luckily I have my plastic on the keys :eek: -NICE! god I love that old cast iron machinery- there's nothing like it- until you bump into it the wrong way!
Brian

Mike Spanbauer
10-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Brett,

Well, as I mentioned in the other thread... very nice score :) I happen to know the price and for what you paid... well, let's just say you may have used up any karma you had stored up :P

Congrats on a beauty of a machine and that top is in better condition by far than I anticipated.

mike

Brett Baldwin
10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
That's a scary thought Mike. I ride a motorcycle every day here in Phoenix, I need all the good karma I can get.:eek:

I'm looking forward to bringing her all the way back to her original splendor but it will be a slow process. My first priority will be function and after I'm satisfied with that, I'll go on to fit and finish. I may be building a dedicated addition just for this grand behemoth.

Mike Spanbauer
10-10-2007, 1:06 AM
Oof... that is one of the few states that I probably would never ride in (I've had my motorcycle license for nearly 18 years).

Lived in tucson for a while... suicide lanes... absolutely nuts

mike

Randy Denby
10-10-2007, 9:33 AM
My buddy, who flies 737's and citation 10's for Swift in Phoenix, sold his FJR1300 Yamaha a year ago. He's been riding bikes, dirt and street, most of his life. Said the traffic there was enough for him to hang up his helmet. Good news....he's getting married and will be able to fly out of DFW...so he's moving back to Tyler tx !!!

Bob Fraser
10-10-2007, 9:39 AM
Hey, I'm just new here but I thought a Gloat HAD to include the price.

No Fair....

bob

Mike Spanbauer
10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Lol. he's being sensitive for those who might be offended (or insanely jealous)... Let's just say that he spent about $.25/lb

mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-10-2007, 1:21 PM
Where are you going to install the steam cannon to launch the fighter jets?

Brett Baldwin
10-10-2007, 1:47 PM
Cliff, I'm thinking it'll have to go on the outfeed side so it can double as an autofeeder.;)

Dwain Lambrigger
10-10-2007, 4:25 PM
Brett,

Man, great pictures. I commend you on this purchase. I am interested in working on these old units too, and wish you the best. When does the deconstruction start? I would love to hear about your progress.