PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy...

Dusty Fuller
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm looking at buying a chuck and some other accessories for my Craftsman 12" wood lathe (not one of the tube models). 3/4 x 16 spindle. My question is this: Do I aim for Craftsman-brand stuff? I have two thoughts:

1. Craftsman with Craftsman may "attract" a better selling price. I won't be able to get all that much for it, but matching accessories may be a draw. Perhaps not.

OR

2. Buy stuff that can be fitted to other lathes... ex. oneway chucks with adapters in the LV catalog... and keep them when I get rid of the Craftsman.

I lean towards the latter, but would like to hear it from someone else. Yes I've used it, but I don't have pictures yet. My wife keeps hiding the camera-to-computer cable. :confused: I'm actually going to get a little bit of a wood haul later this week, so I'll try to get pictures of whatever comes my way. Thanks!

Neal Addy
10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I'd vote #2. I don't know diddly about C-Man chucks but a good chuck would definitely be worth keeping later. Should just be a matter of buying a different adapter (if that).

Richard Madison
10-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Two votes for #2. I was able to replace original 3/4-16 chuck insert with a 1-1/4-8 insert. It was not listed in catalog, but sales person said he could get it for me at same modest price as other inserts.

Dean Thomas
10-09-2007, 12:33 AM
THREE votes for #2.

My thought is that you're going to end up with better quality, too, not just the flexibility of having a chuck & other stuff that will translate to another machine.

Be careful to purchase a chuck that has INSERTS, though, not one machined to that particular shaft/thread configuration. IMO

Gordon Seto
10-09-2007, 2:09 AM
1. Craftsman with Craftsman may "attract" a better selling price. I won't be able to get all that much for it, but matching accessories may be a draw. Perhaps not.

Are you serious?

I won't dump good money into bad money.

If you bundle any brand name chuck (Oneway, Nova, Vicmarc or Axminster) with a C-Man lathe, you will lose 95% of the potential buyers for your chuck.

The Sears repair guys don't use C-Man either. I teased the service man for using the DeWalt (instead of C-Man) cordless driver/drill when I had the dryer repaired. The guy said they did, but every service guy was having trouble with the house brand power tools for not holding up.

The 3/4" X 16 is for small lathe (most minis are 1" X 8); get any of the brand name chuck that uses inserts.

Gordon

Paul Heely
10-09-2007, 7:57 AM
Definitely go with option #2. Buy a good chuck now and you can take it with you to your next lathe for the cost of the adapter.

Glenn Hodges
10-09-2007, 7:59 AM
If you have not made up your mind by now go with #2.

Jim Becker
10-09-2007, 9:20 AM
Option 2 is a better investment for the future...

Ralph Lindberg
10-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Obviously another vote for #2
My personal call though would be for a Teknatool Nova chuck. For the simple reason that (with the exception of the Titan Power Jaws) all the chucks work in all the jaws.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I make number EIGHT.!!!!!!

Go for option #2

:D

Dusty Fuller
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I was hoping to get responses like these... I'll show them to my wife... she's really good about purchases, but I haven't really gone to the money well very often. I don't look at keeping the lathe any longer than I have to, but "have to" may be a few years until we pay off some student loans. The next owner will just have to do without some stuff!

DF

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Dusty,

I don't own Craftsman but let me show why you want a brand name other that C-man.

The inmates here decided I needed to be pushed into the Vortex 20 months ago. They bought and sent me a Jet VS Mini with a Super Nova 2 chuck.

I bought a PM3520 B lathe and it delivered 2 weeks ago. I'm still finishing my shop so I haven't set the lathe up but......a $19 IIRC new adapter and the $200 chuck now fits the new lathe........

I'd research it but make me #9!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
BTW...now that you are turning tell her to open the strings up on the purse....it'll save wear and tear on her finger tips!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Neal Addy
10-09-2007, 11:26 AM
10 to 0. I'd say that's a pretty unanimous opinion.

Feel free to tell her we know what we're doing. It sounds good and what she doesn't know won't hurt her. :rolleyes:

Gordon Seto
10-09-2007, 1:10 PM
Dusty,

......a $19 IIRC new adapter and the $200 chuck now fits the new lathe........

On the Nova chuck, you don't have to pay $25 for the OEM chuck insert.

The $5 Pinnacle chuck insert from Woodcraft will serve you fine. The only difference is it doesn't fit the $17 optional Nova chuck spanner.

Gordon