PDA

View Full Version : Small curly African Sumac

Kevin McPeek
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Small in size and curl.
This might look a little familiar since Mike just posted one of these, probably from the same tree.
I'm not too disappointed in this piece although it does have a few flaws that are not evident in the pics. I left it a little thicker than it needs to be also. It may make another trip to the lathe. Gotta love a vacuum chuck.
Anyway, its 7 1/8 x 2 1/4 with Watco DO and Beall buff for a finish and a 2 day suntan.

Feel free to critique, I can take it.

Neal Addy
10-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Beautiful shape and wood, Kevin. Mighty fine work!

Brett Baldwin
10-09-2007, 1:50 AM
I'm liking it Kevin. That foot goes well with the rim.

Paul Heely
10-09-2007, 8:08 AM
I like it Kevin. If there are any flaws they don't show up in the pictures.
Nice job.

John Timberlake
10-09-2007, 8:33 AM
Nice bowl. Elegant simple design. Love the wood.

Mike Vickery
10-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I love it Kevin the form looks great and the foot and the beveled rim adds a lot of visual interest to the piece.
I think I agree with you that it looks a hair thick for the style but that is really a preference more then anything.

Kevin McPeek
10-09-2007, 1:50 PM
I love it Kevin the form looks great and the foot and the beveled rim adds a lot of visual interest to the piece.
I think I agree with you that it looks a hair thick for the style but that is really a preference more then anything.

It really is a little thick. I'm thinking it will make another trip to the lathe if I can get it centered in the vacuum chuck.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Paul Engle
10-09-2007, 2:46 PM
Nope, thick is ok, makes it safer to drop :eek: with out fear of it cracking into some firewood pieces ...IMHO, any way nice job on for sure, rim treatment is my favorite and the color ... oh baby that'll look nice with some popcorn in it :D

Jason Clark2
10-09-2007, 3:54 PM
Another nice one, seeing this one and the ones Mike has posted makes me want to get out to my garage and finish some that should be dry by now. So far I've only finished the one platter.

Jason

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2007, 4:22 PM
Beautiful wood and beautiful piece. Well done Kevin.