PDA

View Full Version : A little box with inlaid dovetails

Al Navas
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I have been making this little box for a silent auction at a local church in which our daughter is a member. I have never entered anything in a silent auction; I still have to finish sanding, apply Waterlox original, hand-rubbed to a satin finish:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/98838-91456/DovetailBox_1.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Don Bullock
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Al, that's a beautiful box. It should do well at auction.

Jim Becker
10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Very kewel box, Al!

Mike Golka
10-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Nicely done!

Bill Huber
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
There are those inlaid dovetails, I have to try some of those, I just lover the look.

The box is really nice and I am sure will go high, I like the base of it also that really adds to it.

Let us know what it goes for.

Brian Knodel
10-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Show off! … but then you really do have something to show off, nicely done with spectacular wood. Especially like the hinges and the lid support.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a photo with the lid down if you could find the time and if you still have the box.

Brian

Ken Glass
10-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Al,
I see you used barrel hinges. Did you like them, and are they strong enough to suit you? I have made several boxes and have never used them, but might try them on the next box.

John Timberlake
10-09-2007, 8:29 AM
Great looking box. Love the dovetails and the wood.

Al Navas
10-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Show off! ...
:D :cool: Thanks, Brian!

… but then you really do have something to show off, nicely done with spectacular wood. Especially like the hinges and the lid support...
I love QS sycamore. It may be one of the best-kept secrets in woodworking, but it is plentiful around here.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a photo with the lid down if you could find the time and if you still have the box...
Here you go, Brian. I was unable to keep the light balance the same on top and back, due to the overhead lighting. I will see if using LOML's photo stage does any better, after I apply the finish:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/98838-91456/DovetailBox_2.JPG

Enjoy!

Al Navas
10-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Al,
I see you used barrel hinges. Did you like them, and are they strong enough to suit you? I have made several boxes and have never used them, but might try them on the next box.
Ken,

I have used these barrel hinges, in different diameters, for many years. I love them, as they don't call attention to themselves. The key to using them is to accurately mark the position for the holes, and to ensure the clearance toward the back of the box.

Some people cut a relief chamfer on the back/bottom of the lid, and on the top/back edge of the back, to reduce/eliminate interference from these edges when opening/closing the lid.

Kyle Stiefel
10-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Al,

Wonderful work as usual. I kind of have an off topic photo question for you. I am able to insert photos into the text as thumbnails but not the photos as I see them in your thread. How do you do that? I guess, well I know I am computer challenged.

Al Navas
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
My thanks to all others who have made such nice comments about this box. I will let you know how it does at the silent auction.

Lou Morrissette
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Beautiful job, Al. Those dt's realy set it off. Can't find sycamore around these parts.:mad:

Lou

Al Navas
10-09-2007, 6:35 PM
Thanks, Lou!

I have a "sister" box to this one, also for the silent auction - I will post it tomorrow. Guild meeting tonight, so much of our evening will be at the meeting.

I had to design a lid pull for the sister, and had to shape it by hand. I have never made a box that did not have hinges, so this is new to me. In the morning I will have the photos of the two side-by-side, and will share with you.

In the meantime, have fun!