PDA

View Full Version : Yesterdays Progress

Keith Outten
02-05-2004, 6:00 AM
1 - An interview I did for the Christopher Newport University newspaper was published yesterday. The article was half-page and was well written. I would like to thank the reporter Ashley Rich for her efforts and all of the research she did writing the article. Our Freedom Pen Program was covered in detail and she included information on the Liberty Tree Project and their involvement with us as well.

Thanks again Ashley and "Go Captains " :)

2 - I made a visit to Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis's local office and provided her staff with additional information about our Freedom Pen Program. Late yesterday afternoon I received a telephone response and was told that they had contacted the Department of Defense and would be in touch with the Base Commanders in our local area today.

3 - I visited the Daily Press Newspaper and left them our press release and contact information. Hopefully I will be hearing from them very soon.

4 - The Yorktown Crier, a small local newspaper is sending someone to visit our office at Hampton Roads Online to do an interview and take photographs of the pens we have received on Friday. They were very interested in our program and the editor was very kind when I spoke with her in her office.

5 - I received a phone call and did a telephone interview with Terry Joyce of the Post and Currier Newspaper in Charleston South Carolina. Julie Wright contacted Terry and told him about our efforts to provide pens for the troops and he needed a few other questions answered concerning our plans for distribution. Terry was really nice and offered me some good advice which I will take advantage of this week.

Everyone has been very supportive of our Freedom Pen Program and the feeling is absolutely upbeat, with all of the publicity our members have been gathering we are well on our way and getting close to our first shipment of pens. We have about a hundred pens in our office and are hoping to receive at least two hundred more for the first delivery so if you have pens ready to ship please send them.

Yesterday was a very good day :)

Today my goal is to contact Senator John Warner and ask for his support! A senior Senator from Virginia who was once the Secretary of the Navy might be good to have on our side :)

It's not official yet but I received a phone call from Jo Ann Davis's Staff at 9:30am this morning with news that I am to receive a phone call from a certain Army Officer with instructions !!! We are very close folks :)

Julie Wright
02-05-2004, 6:08 AM
Way to Go Team!!!

Ken Salisbury
02-05-2004, 11:47 AM
The word is spreading throughout the country.

Thanks to all the people involved, both SMC members and others, who are beating the pavements, telephones and the internet to gain the support the project needs and deserves. With the information Keith has elaborated on and some more news to break soon we should be off the starting line with wheels squealing and rubber burning.

I am working another avenue of support through the Association of United States Army (AUSA).

AUSA is a private, non-profit educational organization that supports America's Army - Active, National Guard, Reserve, Civilians, Retirees and family members. AUSA has 127 chapters (http://www.ausa.org/ausa/ausachap.nsf/HomeFS?OpenFrameset)located worldwide. Made up entirely of volunteers, they provide recreational and educational opportunities to Soldiers and their families. Most importantly, they support our deployed Soldiers and their families left behind.

I am also working on my local school system to generate fund raising activities by student groups to support the project like the program which is underway at Burleson H.S. in Texas.

Continue to contact your local media outlets, etc you come in contact with to "spread the word". We will soon hit the national media scene and things will really start to roll.

GET YOUR PENS TO THE CENTRAL STAGING POINT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
</p>
<p>
Is this a great country or what?