PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Saw Motor Covers

Frank Conway
10-08-2007, 6:00 PM
Here's a question:

I've been getting by for a few years with a Craftsman contractor's saw (spruced up with Bies homeshop fence and extension). I'm now starting to look at cabinet saws. As I understand it, there are a few advantages to cabinet saws:

1. Dust collection (because the cabinet is better enclosed).
2. Rigidity. (Weight = rigidity)
3. Easy of alignment (not hanging the trunion off the table makes it easier to align.

Now here comes the question (finally). Looking on ebay, craigslist, message boards, etc., I find that 90% of cabinet saws are missing the motor covers. It seems a new one would be simple enough to make, but why are they all missing?

Thanks,

Frank

Doug Shepard
10-08-2007, 6:05 PM
This is just a guess but maybe not all models included one in the price but as an option? My PM66 included one so I've always had it on there.

Jim Becker
10-08-2007, 8:02 PM
On many of the earlier machines (and a few of the "value priced" tools sold today) the motor covers were optional or didn't exist. Yes, it should be easy to fabricate a replacement or to adapt an optional one like the one sold for the base Grizzly 1023 if you purchased a saw without one. This is more difficult for the early Unisaws that had those "bullet" motors that stuck out quite a way, I believe.

Do remember that "cabinet saw" refers more to the way the saw is constructed relative to the trunnions and top, rather than the "cabinet" itself.

Frank Conway
10-08-2007, 8:31 PM
Thank you. That makes sense why many of the motor covers aren't with the saws! Wouldn't the lack of motor cover affect dust collection quite a bit?

Bart Leetch
10-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Well like Henry's the first Fords that didn't have seat belts many of the people that used these saws back then didn't have dust collection.

glenn bradley
10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Well like Henry's the first Fords that didn't have seat belts many of the people that used these saws back then didn't have dust collection.

At least Henry would sell you a Model T any color you wanted . . . as long as you wanted it black.

Bart Leetch
10-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Touche !!! We WE Monsieur.