PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Situation

Scott Shepherd
10-08-2007, 4:05 PM
I'm in need of some input. I have a batch of signs I made that are stuck to a polished chrome flat piece of metal (inside). They are made from 1/8" thick clear acrylic, about 6" square. I cleaned the surfaces, had some 1/2" wide double sided tape that's considerably sticky. Day after installing them, I got a call telling me I installed one upside down. I have a good relationship with them, and told them it wasn't possible, someone must have messed with it.

They flipped it right side up.

They came in two days later, it was upside down again (thanks for proving my point that it wasn't installed upside down by me!).

They fixed it, put it back.

Next day, same thing. I go over to look at it and put all 8 fingers of mine on it and damned if I can pull it off. I had to put a pocket knife under it to get it off. I can also see where a flat blade screw driver was used to pry it off from the same place several times.

So, I take the sheet adhesive I get from Gravograph, which I consider super sticky and go over, remove the tape, replace it with a 5 3/4" square of super sticky tape. I clean the surface, put it on and I could darn near hang my body weight off of it. I try my best to remove it with my fingers. Can't do it. Great! (I'm thinking).

Get a call the next day- sign is upside down again.

*&^% it.

Anyone got any tips on how to keep this sign on? I can't drill it, it's polished stainless and they're not about to let me drill it. Thought about the same adhesive and then clear caulking the edges, but I'm sure the guy will just pry it off again.

Any ideas that might help?

They will catch the guy as they are monitoring it, but until then, I'd like to fix it. I did 12 of them and it has the potential to be several 100, but not if someone's peeling them off.

Joe Pelonio
10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Most sign supplies have something called "banner tape" which is clear, thin, on a white carrier. At my place it's available up to 2". The adhesive strength is greater than VHB foam tape. Cover the back completely and they will break it if they try to get it off. No foam to allow a knife behind it. It's made for hemming banners.

Like this:

http://www.tapecase.com/p.2506.636/double-coated-banner-tape.aspx

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll pick up a roll next time I order some vinyl supplies. I'll give it a try when I catch the &^%$ who keeps taking it down and see how well it works on taping him to the flagpole.

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Finally got around to picking up some banner hem tape Joe. Holy crap. Now THAT'S tape!

Can't wait to go try it out.

Thanks for the tip.

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm using it now too, making up a couple of quick banners from a bare roll of material. I just apply that to the left and right ends, fold them over, stick on grommets and they are ready to go.

Brian Robison
10-26-2007, 4:26 PM
Run a hot wire to the metal