PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dominoes

Jason Whelehon
10-08-2007, 2:31 PM
And not the Festool ones... :)

I'm looking to make a complete set of double 12 dominoes for my Grandparents. I was hoping to do it by this Christmas but I don't see that project getting done in such a short amount of time. I'm making them a VERY nice box to hold the set they currently have. Complete with flocking and elegant hard wood (not sure what yet, bubinga or zebra maybe).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I've only seen like 2 "how-to" articles and Festool made searching for "Dominoes" virtually impossible.

Here's my plan so far, 1/32" Maple veneer on a dark wood (zebra or mahogany or something similar). Layout the dominoes vertically next to each other so I can route that center line with a "v" bit a bunch at one time (prior to cutting). After that, use a hole jig for the different patterns and use a drill press to drill thru the veneer and into the dark wood.

That's about as far as I've gotten with my plan. I'd like to round the edges but it'd need to be uniform. I thought about making a jig to do it but not sure what it'd look like or how it'd function. I thought about making a rotating sled that spun the domino against a sander. I also thought about using double stick tape and use a flush trim bit but that could prove more dangerous than I'd like.

Has anyone made a set or could you guys help me devise a game plan?

Mike Herring
10-11-2007, 2:45 PM
I saw in their latest catalog that Rockler has a jig for double sixes ( http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17889 ). Looks like it's plexiglass or lexan and screwed onto the wood. You should be able to do something like that for double 12s.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the two articles you found on how to make dominos would you? I'm toying with the idea of doing some for next Christmas.

Bill Wyko
11-03-2007, 5:10 PM
Incra Jig has plans to build dominos. Check www.incra.com

Drew Armstrong
11-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Where on their site are you seeing this?

Drew

Randy Cox
11-04-2007, 3:18 PM
Do a search at "Wood" magazines web site. There was an article in there several years back about making wooden dominoes.

Randy

Neal McCormick
12-04-2007, 4:11 PM
http://www.incra.com/product_booksplans_techniques.htm

I believe the cover shows dominoes.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 3:45 PM
Counting 12 dots can be a headache...can you cut numbers into the domino instead?