PDA

View Full Version : Pentair, Delta PC For sale?

Gene Collison
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Here is an interesting piece of news I found on a usenet group. Sad but it may be true! Anybody know about this?

Gene

Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Jim Becker
02-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Based on postings at another forum; one in particular by someone who listened to the Pentair conference call today, this is true. They want to divest themselves from the tool business to concentrate on their water business. I doubt they will have problem finding a buyer, if they don't already have some lined up.

Michael Ballent
02-05-2004, 4:12 PM
Maybe the WMH group (Jet, Powermatic, Performax) will buy them ;) They do not have hand power tools in the line up...

-Michael

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2004, 6:11 PM
So why did HD and Lowes drop the PC line of tools? I can't figure that one out. :confused:

Gene Collison
02-05-2004, 6:20 PM
So why did HD and Lowes drop the PC line of tools? I can't figure that one out. :confused:

Dennis,

Maybe they had inside information, who knows? But I am still seeing PC sanders, plate joiners, circular saws and Delta stuff at Lowes and some of the smaller items at HD. Don't know but there is something in the wind.

gene

Brad McCollum
02-05-2004, 7:03 PM
Delta is in the process of closing it's Tupelo plant as we speak. Some of it is moving to Jackson, TN. but most is going off shore, including the 16" lathe. I've heard rumors that the Jackson Porter Cable plant will close in a few years. I do business with both Delta and PC in another life.
Brad McCollum
Memphis Woodturning

Bob Weisner
02-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Delta is in the process of closing it's Tupelo plant as we speak. Some of it is moving to Jackson, TN. but most is going off shore, including the 16" lathe. I've heard rumors that the Jackson Porter Cable plant will close in a few years. I do business with both Delta and PC in another life.
Brad McCollum
Memphis Woodturning

Brad: Do you know what Delta tools will be made overseas? & Do you know what country they will be made in?

Thanks,

Bob

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Brad: Do you know what Delta tools will be made overseas? & Do you know what country they will be made in?

Thanks,

BobMaybe the same company that makes all the other brands of tools. Just paint on a different color, different name plate and call it your own. ;)

I don't know for sure what all is made for Delta across the pond, but I sure would like to see it "made in the USA". :)

John Weber
02-06-2004, 1:10 PM
Here is a link to the plant closing:

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0303/26/b03.html

I'm not sure how much product will go where, Jackson is a nice facility and some product will go to Tennessee, and I guess as Brad said, some may move overseas.

Delta makes lots of tools in the US, including the Unisaw, contractor saws, band saws, sanders, shapers, radial arm saws, and assorted other stuff, to name a few. I would hate to see them go they way of Powermatic, but will see should they be sold.

John

Jim Becker
02-06-2004, 7:38 PM

A healthy chunk of Delta tools have been made overseas for years now; Taiwan and mainland China.

Jim DeLaney
02-06-2004, 8:06 PM
A healthy chunk of Delta tools have been made overseas for years now; Taiwan and mainland China.

I overheard a Delta rep at the recent Ontario show telling a prospective customer that the Delta Contractors saw he was looking at had maybe 30% U.S. content at best. According to him, the rest was from Taiwan.

John Miliunas
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
I hate to admit it, but my late-model Delta drum sander (X-5, no less), says it's made in Taiwan. Sad, but with only a few exceptions, we can't even pay a premium for US built tools. I just don't know where it's going to end. :mad: :cool:

Terre Hooks
02-07-2004, 9:28 AM
I hate to admit it, but my late-model Delta drum sander (X-5, no less), says it's made in Taiwan. Sad, but with only a few exceptions, we can't even pay a premium for US built tools. I just don't know where it's going to end. :mad:

It will end when there is no money from US citizens to buy stuff from Asia. End of discussion.