PDA

View Full Version : Building a door awning

Joe Pelonio
10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a 6' wide patio door that I'd like to protect from rain, so when goig out to yell for the dogs to come back in we don't get wet, and also, so that when windy the rain doesn't hit the door and cause the oak threshold to swell and the door to stick. It's a swinging door with sidelights.

To match a nearby bay window I thought I could use a wood frame with plywood and cedar shingles. We don't get much snow and there's an overhang above it (2 story house) so there shouldn't be an issue with snow weight.

I was thinking 3 2'x4s with joist hangers to the wall, a 1x4 front edge, with a metal flashing from the wood siding to the ply, then tar paper and the shingles. What other support does it need? Also, any better ideas? I'd prefer not to use fabric with metal tube frame since it would have to come down in the event of the windstorms that we seem to get 2-3 times a year.

Paul Girouard
10-08-2007, 1:12 AM
Joe you could maybe get away with a light weight rooflet , wind might get ya with way it blows In the PNW.

How about some corbels ,

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Corbels17.jpg

You could incorperate a curved diagonal , or any number of other "looks".

Joe Pelonio
10-08-2007, 9:58 AM
2 or 3 for a 6' span, and what size wood?

joe aiello
10-08-2007, 6:42 PM
I am planning to do this; it is on the list. I have a bunch of 15"*41" tempered glass(1/4"). The concept is - mahogany, sealing tape, aluminum hold downs, brass screws, pitched at about 30 degrees. It gives a modern look and low maintenance (I hope). Probably won't get to it til spring. -- joe..

Joe Pelonio
10-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Interesting idea, wouldn't obstruct the light.