PDA

View Full Version : To Cover or Not to Cover - Teak

Joe Koren
10-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi,

I have teak furniture ... which I have to admit I purchased instead of made ... anyway, I live in the South Jersey were we do get snow and pretty cold weather and the teak furniture sits exposed on the northwest side of the house. As winter approaches, my wife asked me if we should cover the furniture and well, I am unsure. So I am asking, should I put a vented cover on the furniture or not?

Are there pluses to covering it like making the teak oil last longer? or will it trap moisture and make it rot?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Joe

George Carion
10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Uninformed opinion to follow:

From what I've heard and read (all other's opinions) people say that there is no need to protect teak from the elements. I, however, live in Southern California so I'm very comfortable with that opinion.

Jamie Buxton
10-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Teak weathers slower than many other woods, but it does weather. If you leave it out in the elements, it will slowly turn silver and the surface will get rough. I'd take it indoors in the winter.

Joe Koren
10-08-2007, 8:52 AM
I wish I could take it inside, except there is no room. :( I have many pieces so that is why I am looking for a cover or not cover option.

Joe

David G Baker
10-08-2007, 9:08 AM
I would cover your teak if you don't have the option of taking it inside, it will continue to be beautiful for years to come.

Matt Drewello
10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Before I moved to SC I lived in northern NJ. I left my teak furniture out all winter. In the spring I would clean it with some deck wash and it looked almost new. The furniture is about 5 years old and has never been brought inside. Forgot to mention that I never covered the furniture.