PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-965 vs SC 17" DP

Greg Pavlov
10-07-2007, 8:13 PM
I asked for advice on drill presses last week & got very useful responses that gave me quite a lot to think about, sort out, and focus on; thank you! I've now narrowed things down to a choice betw 2 basic options: a cheaper one, the Delta 17-950L, and a more expensive one. The more expensive one really comes down to one of two models: the Delta 17-965 or the SC 17". Price-wise for me they are close to a tossup, while from a functional point of view the SC is probably a bit better *for me*, so I'm tempted to go in that direction, but when I consider what I'm likely to do with a drill press in the next 5-10 (perhaps last) years' working with one, nothing in the spec differences are really a deal breaker one way or another. SO, to ask one more question on this topic, is there anything that anyone would consider, other than the price difference, that would lead them to pick the Delta over the SC? I would like to make sure that I haven't overlooked anything that I shouldn't have. Thanks again...

John Callahan
10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
My 2 cents- hard to go wrong with the SC with it's 6" of quill travel especially if its priced about the same as the 17-965. Stilll kickin' myself; had a chance to pick the SC at a woodworking show earlier this year at one heck of a price. Decided to wait on the new Delta's .............. I'm still waiting.

Gary Keedwell
10-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Every where lately , people talking about 6" travel on DP. What exactly is everybody drilling into that requires 6"? I have been woodworking for over 20 years and don't remember my last 6 inch hole.:)
GK

Greg Pavlov
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Every where lately , people talking about 6" travel on DP. What exactly is everybody drilling into that requires 6"? I have been woodworking for over 20 years and don't remember my last 6 inch hole.:)
GK
I decided to make 4" the minimum I would accept (yeah, I know, the Delta 17-950 shaves that by an eighth, but it's Close Enough...), but I can understand the convenience of 6", even if most folks won't ever *need* it. It allows you more leeway in table height, so it can save you some cranking and resetting now & again. Also, while 4" is nominally enough for a 4" bore, it is nice to have some extra room over & above that. The Delta 17-965's 4 7/8"
makes good sense to me.

Maurice Ungaro
10-08-2007, 9:35 AM
I went with the 17-968, have had it for 4 years, and love it. Still waiting to max it out. I only wish that in my new shop I would have installed another 220 outlet, so I could convert the DP over to that.

Matt Meiser
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I recently went with the Steel City. I hadn't seen this particular Delta though. For me, the differences between the various models came down to little things like the depth stop design and extras like the light. After I made my decsion, Steel City announced the free laser which I didn't care about but now that I've installed it, I think I will like it. Another big reason was the recommendation of the dealer who said he's pretty down on Delta since the merger due to decreased support and increasing prices. I bought from my local dealer because the prices were competitive and I wanted to support them.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I like my Jet 17" drill press. Would I like a nice square woodworking friendly table? absolutely. Would I like a variable speed? absolutely. Some day before I retire, I might re-evaluate my situation, but to be honest, I really don't spend that much time on the drill press to justify the big bucks for all the goodies.
If I was just starting out...it might be a different story. Alot of things available now that wasn't an option years ago. Still, I find myself drooling at the pictures:o :D
Gary

Greg Pavlov
10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I like my Jet 17" drill press. Would I like a nice square woodworking friendly table? absolutely. Would I like a variable speed? absolutely. Some day before I retire, I might re-evaluate my situation, but to be honest, I really don't spend that much time on the drill press to justify the big bucks for all the goodies.
If I was just starting out...it might be a different story. Alot of things available now that wasn't an option years ago. Still, I find myself drooling at the pictures:o :D
Gary
None of the three dp's I'm looking at have variable speed. It's interesting: Delta has a smallish table top with v.s. and is putting it into more expensive ones, but not the ones in-between. I wonder why. Maybe the lower current requirements of the table top allow them to make a cheaper v.s.??

Re drooling at goodies: we've all been very well-conditioned...:o