PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Dish/Bowl

Ben Gastfriend
10-07-2007, 7:44 PM
I turned this bowl/dish (you choose what to call it) out of mahogany. I found these blanks collecting dust in the back of a woodworking store and the guy gave them to me for a buck each. They turned out to be some pretty nice wood. The attaching of the faceplate is really getting to me. I guess I should just break down and buy a chuck.

Anyway, it's about 5x5x2". The finsih is EEE Abrasive and Carnuba Wax.

Comments Welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2007, 8:18 PM
Great looking bowl Ben. I did a set of 10 salad bowls for the kids for Christmas and a big 13 1/2" by 5" deep main salad bowl all out of mahogany. It is a nice turning wood. Well done.

Jim Becker
10-07-2007, 8:19 PM
Nice job, Ben. Between now and when you get a chuck, you can glue a waste block to the bottom of your blank to screw your faceplate to...that will preserve all of your "expensive" material for your gouges! :D

Paul Engle
10-08-2007, 1:55 PM
Ben,
Don't do that ... ya makin the rest of us look bad:eek: :D ... just kidding.Nice work and great score from the store. yep get a chuck , face plates will make you old and grey;) . Really they have their place ... somewhere...I use em for box lids and platter/plates to get the recess in and then I be done with em. good to have around when you need em

Jim Kountz
10-08-2007, 5:26 PM
Nice work Ben, I love the shape and desing alot. So what method are you using to attach to the face plate?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2007, 5:54 PM
Nicely done Ben! Beautiful piece of wood!

Ben Gastfriend
10-08-2007, 5:55 PM
I glued a piece of 1 inch MDF to the bottom with gorilla glue. Then I used the tiny faceplate that came with my lathe and attached it to the block with 1x8 wood screws. It turns out that MDF isn't the best choice because it's made up of tiny sheets laminated together, and about halfway through roughing out the bowl, some of the layers came apart and the bowl started wobbling. I'm glad I caught it before 4 pound disk came spinning at my chest at 600 rpm. The one good thing about these layers is that when I was done, I can part off all but one layer with a chisel and sand down the last one.

All that because I am chuck-less.

Kevin Cole
10-08-2007, 7:03 PM
The MDF may have started to seperate because the glue more of a liquid so it penetrated too deep next time use a scrap of maple or other hardwood. What kind of lathe are you using? I see your 13 thats about when i got into woodworking I didnt start turning until last year. Keep up the great work. Your already ahead of me.

Tom Sherman
10-08-2007, 8:54 PM
Nice job on this one Ben.

Ben Gastfriend
10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm using a Turncrafter VS Midi Lathe from Penn State for two reasons.

1) I live about 2 blocks away from the showroom so I didn't have to pay shipping and...

2) My dad limited my workshop space to a large closet in our basement. I only have room for a couple tools, including a scroll saw, router table (which I bought at a flea market for $10 (router included), lathe, and a buch of various hand power and regular hand tools. When I buy my own house though.... well, let's not get to much ahead of ourselves!

Thanks for the tip for using a harwood for the faceplate stock. If I attempt any bowls between now and when I invest in a chuck, I'll be sure to use it.

Ben

Skip Spaulding
10-10-2007, 5:15 PM
Looks good Ben, wish I had started at your age!

Allen Neighbors
10-10-2007, 7:54 PM
Hi Ben, Well done! Pretty bowl, and the finish looks impeccable.