PDA

View Full Version : Female woodworkers

Jason White
10-07-2007, 6:07 PM
I'm very curious as to how many of you woodworkers are women?

If you are, how did you become interested in woodworking? Are you a hobbiest or a pro? What types of projects do you build?

JW

Gary Keedwell
10-07-2007, 7:25 PM
Not me;) Although I admit I watch "Desperate Housewives" on TV.
Gary K.

Nancy Laird
10-07-2007, 7:38 PM
OK, I'll bite and be first.

I am a paralegal for a sole practitioner attorney in Albuquerque, after having been in the clerical field for most of my working life. I intend to retire on December 21, 2007 (whoopee), and do this work on an as-needed basis as the orders come in. I also do some scroll-sawing work and some fabric crafts, but they seem to have taken a backseat to the woodworking, lasering, and turning lately.

David (LOML) has been doing some form of woodworking since his teens, and I got into it when I quickly determined that the only way to spend any quality time with my spouse was to be in the garage/shop with him. I started out small – sanding, holding, catching – then moved on to helping him with finishing. We do custom furniture and cabinetry – when we can get the commissions – and we build all our own furniture and cabinetry. We've had a side business for as long as we've been married. Now we work together on designing things and in the shop building things. We also have the laser business which we acquired a couple of years ago which is starting to be our primary business. David also gives "woodworking lessons" to a couple of friends, and he repairs machinery when called upon.

There's a lot more, which you can read here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59082&highlight=evolved

Nancy (75 days)

Jim Kountz
10-07-2007, 7:53 PM
Wow Nancy thats so cool that the two of you can spend quality time together in the SHOP no less, what a lucky pair you are!!

julie Graf
10-07-2007, 8:38 PM
interesting question - why does it matter really?

I'm a chick. right now it's my job. custom furniture, mostly. some art festivals with smaller items like solid one piece photo frames and other home accessories, as well as wood & stainless steel belt buckles.

i got into it 5+ years ago apprenticing with another local furniture maker, now i'm on my own. before that i was an interactive designer, but got sick of working 70 hours a week for someone else - why do that when you can work overtime for yourself?! ha!

Jude Kingery
10-07-2007, 9:30 PM
Hi Jason, (I would be one - female wood turner) and I got into it, so to speak, as a kid. My Dad had a full shop (lathe, industrial drill press, welder, oxy-acetylene torch, table saw, band saw, etc.) We had full run of the shop (two brothers and I did) and could use anything. Eight years old running a table saw or turning something on the lathe or using a cutting torch. He mildly said be careful, if you have a question, just ask. Then he'd read the paper on the back porch during the evenings, ha! We'd turn the radio up and play in the shop with this or that project or engine repair or whatever. Lathe work was always my favorite.

After finishing graduate school, worked - well - for about 25 years in human services, primarily crime victim crisis/trauma intervention, assistance with law enforcement and court accompaniment. (also as a paramedic on weekends). After a total of 30 years in human services (other medical related jobs early on in my career before rape crisis and EMS), I retired three years ago, and now just work part time subbing for the Sex Ed program with the school district here (also worked with that team of women for 25 years and guest taught all of their date rape/child abuse awareness prevention classes for Sex Ed - outstanding teachers).

About seven years ago my husband asked me, you want me to build a bench for your Dad's little lathe? (yes, the very same one I started turning on when I was 8 years old up through highschool until college and career called me away, ha!) I said sure! So started turning again. Maybe 4 years ago now we also bought a VB36 and just love it, keep both lathes working or with something on them all the time. Just pulled a large Cherry bowl last week and my piano student has an Ash bowl on (he likes wood turning lessons as much as his piano lessons.) Lots of fun! My husband does most of the chain saw work and band saw work. I do just about all the turning although once in awhile he'll turn something.

Two galleries here, owners are close friends of mine for the past 28 years or so, show and sell for me with a very low commission (10%) and also take care of sales tax and so on, lots of fun! I've done right at 800 pieces, give or take a few since taking it up again in recent years. Lots of fun! Not production turning, no pressure to sell, just fun to do mostly bowls. Give away to friends and family and then sell through the two galleries. My husband and I just got home from our first art show and although we sold a little, not a lot, we had a pure-D blast! Also was fun because again, family and friends were there in Colorado for it and it was great fun! Met some other wood turners and many nice, interesting people.

So that's about it! Jude

Nancy Laird
10-07-2007, 9:36 PM

Julie, I guess it matters because a VERY small percentage of woodworkers are female. At least in my generation--children of the 50s and 60s--we set our sights on being wives and mothers and helpmates, not independent persons who could do just about anything--particularly anything that a man could do.

You're probably too young to remember, but read this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58848&highlight=%22WACs%22, post #27, and you'll see why the question is being asked.

Nancy (75 days)

Jude Kingery
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Nancy, I think you bring up a very valid point and you're right, many females during the 50's and 60's were given the message they couldn't be persons in their own right. Which is another reason my Dad was so ahead of his time - he actually told me: "Jude, you can do anything these ol' boys can do and don't you forget it. You might have to find a different way to do it (physical strength), but you can do anything these boys can do - anything you want in your life." What a great Dad! I believed him - and promptly did - anything and everything I wanted to do, still believe it to this day. I've worked primarily with men as equals throughout my entire professional career and it was great! Bunch of great guys and we all worked as equal partners. Jude

Mike Seals
10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Julie, I guess it matters because a VERY small percentage of woodworkers are female. At least in my generation--children of the 50s and 60s--we set our sights on being wives and mothers and helpmates, not independent persons who could do just about anything--particularly anything that a man could do.

You're probably too young to remember, but read this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58848&highlight=%22WACs%22, post #27, and you'll see why the question is being asked.

Nancy (75 days)

Not to rob a post, but I read the older post. Nancy, that was one h--- of a post, can we say body slam. I loved it, or as my daughter would say, you go girl!

julie Graf
10-08-2007, 9:12 AM
i know why it matters to "us" women, but I was wondering why Jason asked the question...

I'm teaching my partner (male) woodworking, and I *love it* (sarcastic) when we go to a lumber mill or tool store together and EVERYONE talks to him - looks to him - and engages him in questions, and ignores me.

It also happens at the fairs - we are both in the booth, and everyone assumes he is the "artist"

Everyone is surprised - Oh, YOU make the furniture?

there is still a long way to go....

Craig Feuerzeig
10-08-2007, 9:30 AM
I just had a market analysis done for me by a local university, as part of their advanced MBA entrepreneurship program.

They tell me that 11% of "precision woodworkers" are women.:cool:

David G Baker
10-08-2007, 9:43 AM
Not woodworking except for the baseball bat.
My Stepdaughter was among the first females to play Little League in the small town where I lived in California. It was almost the 1920s all over again. After several years the town "fathers" succeeded in putting a stop to the majority of the girls playing baseball with the boys by starting and supporting a girls softball team.
The second year she played the, "boys" were giving her a hard time, the coach informed the "boys" that when they could play baseball as good as my Stepdaughter they then could make some comments. He made them buy her a bouquet of flowers and apologize for their nasty behavior. The boys ended up loving having her on their team. She went on to play the full Little League term.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 9:51 AM
I just had a market analysis done for me by a local university, as part of their advanced MBA entrepreneurship program.

They tell me that 11% of "precision woodworkers" are women.:cool:
Not trying to navigate the thread but what is definition of "precision woodworker?" Could be opening a new can of worms.:)
Gary

Craig Feuerzeig
10-08-2007, 9:59 AM
Sorry Gary, I sorta saw that coming (hence the quotes), but unfortunately, that they couldn't quite tell me. :D

Still I thought the number was impressive. Well...sadly impressive.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Sorry Gary, I sorta saw that coming (hence the quotes), but unfortunately, that they couldn't quite tell me. :D

The reason I brought it up is the broad definition of "woodworker" that is used today in conversation.
As an example: I know of a couple of guys that work in a machine shop who drill holes all day long using a drill press. These people use the word "machinist" when filling out forms that ask your occupation. Needless to say, it is an inside joke to alot of guys who really are "machinists"
I'm not trying to be facetious or cruel, but I once worked in Lowes during the Christmas season a few years ago, and you have no idea how hard it is to keep a straight face , listening to the "war stories":rolleyes: :D
Gary

Curt Harms
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM

If I were asked:

The number of marks on their measuring tools.

Precision woodworker=furniture maker works to 1/32nd or 1/64th

Non Precision woodworker=carpenter works to 1/8th or 1/16th

I listened in on a conversation between some women that were hardly traditional. Several had PhD's in things other than Home Ec. and were not overly domestic. They were discussing children and gender stereotypes. They had observed that when given the same toys to play with and no adult prompting, girls tend toward "girly" stuff and boys tend toward "boy" stuff. This is not to say that all girls ONLY play with girly stuff and all boys ONLY play with guy stuff, but there are tendencies. Lawrence Summers got fired from Harvard for making a similar observation but oh well...

Curt

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
If I were asked:

The number of marks on their measuring tools.

Precision woodworker=furniture maker works to 1/32nd or 1/64th

Non Precision woodworker=carpenter works to 1/8th or 1/16th

I listened in on a conversation between some women that were hardly traditional. Several had PhD's in things other than Home Ec. and were not overly domestic. They were discussing children and gender stereotypes. They had observed that when given the same toys to play with and no adult prompting, girls tend toward "girly" stuff and boys tend toward "boy" stuff. This is not to say that all girls ONLY play with girly stuff and all boys ONLY play with guy stuff, but there are tendencies. Lawrence Summers got fired from Harvard for making a similar observation but oh well...

Curt
LOL I remember the history very well. Academia (roughly 20 years ago) was telling people that it was the environment that determined what the chidren played with. You give a little boy dolls and he will play with them etc., etc.,
Well, like Curt said, in real life it didn't work that way. Academia has been rather silent about the test results.:p
Gary

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, I'm NOT a woman, but the LOML (my wife) LOVES to help me in the shop and yet she has ZERO desire to become a woodworker. She enjoys being a wife, mother, helper, family nurse, school teacher, sewings, and cross-stitching too much to be a woodworker. Primarily, she just loves to spend time with me in the shop and helping me be more creative. She's a GREAT help-mate and it's truly wonderful having her in the shop with me when she's not doing a thousand other things around the home.

I've tried to encourage her to get "into" woodworking, but she refuses...as she says that she just wants to be my "helper" in the shop and nothing more.

Julie, I think it's GREAT that you are into woodworking and I've also checked out your web site and really like your work. One thing you'll find out here at SMC, is that we are a curious bunch and we're also a helpful bunch...no matter what the "gender" is. ;)

John Gregory
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
My wife and I share the hobby of woodworking. She is an artist by training and that is very valuable in this hobby. She has always enjoyed "crafts" and woodworking is a big craft.:) She is also very anal about perfection, so the work we do turns out very nice.

PLUS it is wonderful to have an endeavor that both of us can enjoy while spending time together.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
My wife and I share the hobby of woodworking. She is an artist by training and that is very valuable in this hobby. She has always enjoyed "crafts" and woodworking is a big craft.:) She is also very anal about perfection, so the work we do turns out very nice.

PLUS it is wonderful to have an endeavor that both of us can enjoy while spending time together.
Wow John, that is wonderful. About 17 years ago I bought my wife a nice Hegner scroll saw with visions of the two of us sharing bliss in our basement. Well, to make long story short, we have a scroll saw that is like brand new following us around to our last two homes.:D
When I suggest we sell it she says she might "take it up again" when she retires. I'm not going to hold my breath. LOL
Gary

Nancy Laird
10-08-2007, 11:18 AM
One of the advantages of wives working with or helping their hubbies in the shop is all of the nice furniture and cabinets and other goodies that come out of the shop for the house. I have multiple major pieces of furniture and built-ins in my home that probably wouldn't be there if I hadn't been available to "help" LOML with them.

Nancy (74 days)

Keith Outten
10-08-2007, 11:18 AM

I'm a chick. right now it's my job. custom furniture, mostly. some art festivals with smaller items like solid one piece photo frames and other home accessories, as well as wood & stainless steel belt buckles.

i got into it 5+ years ago apprenticing with another local furniture maker, now i'm on my own. before that i was an interactive designer, but got sick of working 70 hours a week for someone else - why do that when you can work overtime for yourself?! ha!

Julie,

Possibly you and I are the only stainless belt buckle makers here at The Creek. I got started making stainless buckles when I worked nuclear construction years ago but I haven't made a buckle in awhile since I lost access to a tig welder. I still have a box of parts that I made up a long time ago and I guess I could get started making a few buckles again if I could upgrade one of my welders and acquire a bottle of argon :)

John Thompson
10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
A tool cannot determine if it is in the hands of a male or female... therefore the "proof remains in the puddin' ".....

Pedal to the metal, ladies...

Sarge..

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
One of the advantages of wives working with or helping their hubbies in the shop is all of the nice furniture and cabinets and other goodies that come out of the shop for the house. I have multiple major pieces of furniture and built-ins in my home that probably wouldn't be there if I hadn't been available to "help" LOML with them.

Nancy (74 days)

Same way here Nancy......now we have a few pieces here in the house and all with the LOML's help. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2007, 11:55 AM
This thread has drifted from the original intent but in this case that's not a bad thing....

My oldest son was a cook in the Army and has managed and cooked in several restaurants before becoming a deputy sheriff. My daughter who is very femine and petite (not a knuckle dragger like her Dad) has a college degree in automotive mechanics and held officer positions in several auto clubs in Illinois and Idaho while in HS. I used to make jokes of this stating the above and adding "where did I as a parent go wrong?".....One female neurologist stated.."You didn't! Obviously your children are secure enough within themselves to cross those lines that were at one time considered gender related occupations."

The long and short of it........gender doesn't have a whole lot to do with abilities IMHO. I would dare say some of the best woodworking I've seen was done by woodworkers of the femine gender. I dare say, a lot of it was better than anything I've built to date.

Nancy Laird
10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
A tool cannot determine if it is in the hands of a male or female... therefore the "proof remains in the puddin' ".....

Pedal to the metal, ladies...

Sarge..

THANK YOU!!

I love this sentiment!!

Nancy (74 days)

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
This thread has drifted from the original intent but in this case that's not a bad thing....

My oldest son was a cook in the Army and has managed and cooked in several restaurants before becoming a deputy sheriff. My daughter who is very femine and petite (not a knuckle dragger like her Dad) has a college degree in automotive mechanics and held officer positions in several auto clubs in Illinois and Idaho while in HS. I used to make jokes of this stating the above and adding "where did I as a parent go wrong?".....One female neurologist stated.."You didn't! Obviously your children are secure enough within themselves to cross those lines that were at one time considered gender related occupations."

The long and short of it........gender doesn't have a whole lot to do with abilities IMHO. I would dare say some of the best woodworking I've seen was done by woodworkers of the femine gender. I dare say, a lot of it was better than anything I've built to date.
Well, while were at it....isn't it truth the some of the best chefs in the world are men?:confused: :)
Gary

John Shuk
10-08-2007, 12:17 PM

It matters because as he said he is curious.

John Shuk
10-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Julie,

Possibly you and I are the only stainless belt buckle makers here at The Creek. I got started making stainless buckles when I worked nuclear construction years ago but I haven't made a buckle in awhile since I lost access to a tig welder. I still have a box of parts that I made up a long time ago and I guess I could get started making a few buckles again if I could upgrade one of my welders and acquire a bottle of argon :)

Keith,
I still have a Stainless belt buckle somewhere that my mother got when she worked access control at Indian Point.

Donna Ashby
10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I was never exposed to woodworking growing up. As a female born in the 50's it wasn't really encouraged and it never ocurred to me to take shop or woodworking in school. I didn't have a relative that was a woodworker.

I got in to woodworking because of my hobby of stained glass. I had an 8 foot wide panel to frame and I couldn't buy wood framing made for stained glass in that length. So I thought, how about buy a router to make the channel for the glass and get the oak from Fleet Farm? How hard could it be? Then I found it was not only relatively easy but also FUN!! Watching the grain pop when staining wood is FUN!! Then came a table saw, more ideas, etc.

It's been a steep but very enjoyable learning curve.

I do small stuff like pens, bowls, yo-yos on a midi lathe. I've made small boxes (excuse for a Leigh jig) and things like Woodsmith's kaleidoscope and night light with interchangable scroll sawn inserts (yup, excuse for scroll saw).

I spent one terrific week at American Sycamore Woodworkers Retreat making an Arts and Crafts chair. I'd like to do more of this kind of woodworking.

Donna

Bob Smalser
10-08-2007, 1:04 PM
I never have understood and still don't understand why there aren't more women cabinetmakers.

1) It requires a good eye for proportion and color combined with sensitive hands.

2) It ain't logging or sawyering. 200lbs and 17" biceps offer no advantage.

3) Many of us would be perfectly living in rough cabins on heavy, hewn, pegged furniture. It's often women who inspire us to build something more refined.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 1:09 PM
I never have understood and still don't understand why there aren't more women cabinetmakers.

, It's often women who inspire us to build something more refined.
I guess you haven't been watching the H & G Channel lately. Inspiration for refinement isn't limited to any one gender.:o :)
Gary

Jude Kingery
10-08-2007, 1:25 PM
Hey Julie, we can relate to that as well, ha! At that art show this past weekend, Glen and I were in our booth and nine times out of ten people looked at him and said, these are lovely, or what kind of wood is this? And he'd just laugh and say, she's the turner, not me, ask her if you like. It was funny, and ok with me, but yes, you're right, often they were surprised I was the turner and not Glen, ha! Jude

Pat Germain
10-08-2007, 1:56 PM
I think it's great more women are getting into woodworking! Rockler has a web site just for women learning to work with wood. Ann Rockler Jackson is smart to take advantage of this new and expanding customer base.

As Nancy so very clearly illustrated, it's really a shame how women have been marginalized in our society for so very long. I got just a hint of what this is like when I was in middle school and I sure didn't like it. My school shop teacher was a mean jerk who wouldn't let anyone actually make anything. Therefore, I wanted to take Home Economics. The Home Ec teacher said she could take only a few boys after any girl who wanted to could take the class. I ended up getting in, but I sure hated having to wait until every girl got a chance before I could even be considered; purely by gender. Grrrr....

Bob Smalser
10-08-2007, 3:05 PM
I guess you haven't been watching the H & G Channel lately. Inspiration for refinement isn't limited to any one gender.:o :)
Gary

It ain't me I'm building a house with 18 corners for. ;) A 4-cornered cabin would suffice if I were alone.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/153650181.jpg

And with sunrooms and brick veneer to boot.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/212712545.jpg

My point is that in my experience, a much higher percentage of women than men love the level of refinement that differentiates rough carpentry and plywood boxes from the fine scantlings and grace of line inherent in a cabriole leg. Not just ability to do the work or pride in accomplishment, but love of the end result. And as we're not talking about muscling around 100lb joists, I still don't understand why more women aren't making them.

Jason White
10-08-2007, 4:33 PM
Yep, just curious. A lot of people here lurk more than post, so I'm always wondering who some of these lurkers are. :D

Somebody made a comment about Rockler's website just for women. I don't really get it. I've been there a few times. Nobody posts over there. I think it speaks to the fact that woodworking is not "gender specific." If you work wood, you work wood.

Thanks for all the great replies. I do hope you ladies (craftspersons??) continue to inspire and get more women (and men) involved.

JW

It matters because as he said he is curious.

Jude Kingery
10-08-2007, 4:38 PM
Jason, I'd agree - I went there a few times (women's site), but I'd rather work from an "all-inclusive" standpoint, figure we all gain much more insight and knowledge instead of drawing lines or being exclusive. I much prefer inclusive. If that makes sense. Interesting post, glad you posted it, Jason. Jude

Nancy Laird
10-08-2007, 4:46 PM
Jason and Jude, I agree about that other women's site. I guess I'm still listed as a member there, but after going for days and days without any new posts, I decided that the site wasn't for me and sure wasn't meeting my expectations of a good woodworking site. I too prefer inclusive. As a matter of fact, if I had not been a member here, I probably would still be stuck turning pens, rather than branching out--all because of the encouragement/teasing/nagging I've gotten from a few of the turners here.:D They know who they are and they know I luv 'em!!:D :D

Nancy (74 days)

Martin Shupe
10-08-2007, 7:15 PM
Julie, Nancy, and Donna,

I think Julie asked "why does it matter?" The answer is, it doesn't.

The wood does not care which hands are working it. But remember the tablesaw doesn't care which hands are sliced up, either. Missing fingers look bad on a guy, but they REALLY look bad on a lady, so please be careful.

I read this thread because I am one of those guys who wishes his wife would work in the shop with him. She does not, and I don't think ever will. I think the big iron scares her, and when I said she could do the finishing, she wasn't interested in that, either. I am hoping my son and daughter will be more interested, so that my shop is not sold off piecemeal after I am dead.

The finished product (however slowly, in my case in particular) is what matters. Who made it is trivia for your great-grandchildren.

One more thing....

A while back there was a magazine called "Woodworking for Women". If I was a woman, I would have been insulted. The projects were so simple that they seem designed for 8 year olds instead of woman. I would recommend Fine Woodworking or Popular Woodworking instead.

Mickey Finn
10-08-2007, 7:52 PM
It's obvious, (maybe), he's looking for the woodworking babes... :p

julie Graf
10-08-2007, 8:13 PM
some random points:

I find the posters of SMC great - i haven't sensed much "sexism" at all.

I find the question interesting, and was curious as to why Jason was curious. Thinking about the question based on women being a minority in woodworking, to me it is similar to someone asking "how many blacks are lurking here?"

I would have found it less odd if a woman asked it - probably thinking "who else is out there like me?"

Or it could be like someone commented, perhaps he's looking for a woodworking girlfriend. jason???? haha!

I generally don't think about it, as my way of trying not to make a big deal about it. I don't want to be noticed because i'm female, i want to be noticed because i do good work.

I would tend to avoid "female" woodworking sites. i find things them mildly offensive and insulting. (like the pink wimpy tools out there) Why not a "big and tall guy" woodworking site or magazine? or a Hispanic woodworker message board? all pretty useless in my opinion.

being a woman makes us no different than anyone else in this business.

that being said, there are stereotypes for a reason. in fact - i fall into many. i like dressing up sometimes. sometimes i like to shop. (not always though) I enjoy cooking my boyfriend a good meal. yes, i cry. and truth be told - i really don't like big tools very much. i HATE using a router. i can never remember technical jargon (can you gimme that thingy?) I love the design aspect of woodworking. I'm really glad i have a guy for a partner who likes the technical aspects of tools and will change the planer blades for me. and can help me rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood. and carry 100 bf of 6/4 walnut to the shop from the roof rack. haha!

and - i would also like to find a drill that fit my hand better, and i once used a mitre saw that i could barely pull the trigger and the button to unlock the saw at the same time. being small has it's disadvantages at times, and it would be nice to be catered to in that regard.

um. that's all for now. ;)

Carl Crout
10-08-2007, 8:32 PM

I don't personally think much of calling women "chicks". Sounds like preppy talk to me.

I prefer "women".

John Shuk
10-08-2007, 8:42 PM
that being said, there are stereotypes for a reason. in fact - i fall into many. i like dressing up sometimes. sometimes i like to shop. (not always though) I enjoy cooking my boyfriend a good meal.

Now if only my wife would fall into those stereotypes for a change.:rolleyes:

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 8:50 PM
I don't personally think much of calling women "chicks". Sounds like preppy talk to me.

I prefer "women".
I like to call them "broads";) :D

GK.

Jude Kingery
10-08-2007, 8:53 PM
I like to call us men/women - but the most important term I like again is: just "us." As in "all of us," together, doing something fun or productive, or informative or supportive of each other - regardless of any specifier, i.e. gender, race, religion, doesn't matter. Sieze the wood, turn the wood, except I can't recall the Latin phrase for it, ha! Jude

Mickey Finn
10-08-2007, 9:02 PM

I prefer "women".

Umm.. well, OK...I know not of one woman in my life-sphere that objects to being called a "chick". Single, other man's wives, even the gay girls.
Who cares? Chickee... Chick-a Rumbus... Chick-Fil-A.. nothing preppy about it... (and I was there with the skinny tie and the tweed blazer back in the 80's, back in the day, so I know....:D)

Unless you're having High Tea with the Queen of England, "Chicks" is a term of endearment these days. Just sayin'... Your mileage may vary extremely, up to zero miles per gallon. :rolleyes:

Never use a jigsaw when a table saw will do, right? :)

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 9:17 PM
In my day, even the broads called other broads, "broads":D
GK

Mickey Finn
10-08-2007, 9:32 PM
I like to call us men/women - but the most important term I like again is: just "us." As in "all of us," together, doing something fun or productive, or informative or supportive of each other - regardless of any specifier, i.e. gender, race, religion, doesn't matter. Sieze the wood, turn the wood, except I can't recall the Latin phrase for it, ha! Jude

"Seize the wood?"

I'll leave that alone. :rolleyes:;):D

julie Graf
10-08-2007, 9:53 PM
"chick" is a casual term I'd use with my friends. I don't think many people are offended by it - I'm not, and so I used it for myself. It's kind of like calling a man a guy. Perhaps it's regional. maybe "gal" is more common?

man/woman, lady/gentleman are more formal.
guy/gal, dude/chick seem more casual.

i don't much like the term "broad" - possibly because i hear it most often with the word "dumb" in front of it. :\

and - I don't think I've ever been called preppy before. I like to think of myself as "hip" haha!

julie Graf
10-08-2007, 9:55 PM
haha!
well, he makes me coffee every morning. :)

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I was never exposed to woodworking growing up. As a female born in the 50's it wasn't really encouraged and it never ocurred to me to take shop or woodworking in school. I didn't have a relative that was a woodworker.

I got in to woodworking because of my hobby of stained glass. I had an 8 foot wide panel to frame and I couldn't buy wood framing made for stained glass in that length. So I thought, how about buy a router to make the channel for the glass and get the oak from Fleet Farm? How hard could it be? Then I found it was not only relatively easy but also FUN!! Watching the grain pop when staining wood is FUN!! Then came a table saw, more ideas, etc.

It's been a steep but very enjoyable learning curve.

I do small stuff like pens, bowls, yo-yos on a midi lathe. I've made small boxes (excuse for a Leigh jig) and things like Woodsmith's kaleidoscope and night light with interchangable scroll sawn inserts (yup, excuse for scroll saw).

I spent one terrific week at American Sycamore Woodworkers Retreat making an Arts and Crafts chair. I'd like to do more of this kind of woodworking.

Donna

WELCOME to SMC Donna..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to have ya around the watering hole.

Jude Kingery
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Mickey, you made me laugh! Nah, didn't mean it that way. Ya'll are great. Jude

Phil Clark
10-09-2007, 2:47 PM
I've been hobby woodworking for over 40 years and am now teaching woodworking for fun. The most fun is having a woman want to learn woodworking. Each one picks their project of choice and we work in my shop until it is done. Last spring's novice just poured the concrete slab for her new shop she is designing with input from those of us who have been around for a while - it's great fun watching her over rule her husband who doesn't work wood on shop design issues. Yup - the shoe's on the other foot.

Matt Lackey
10-09-2007, 6:35 PM
Curt, you are making this up. So you just "listened to a conversation" and these women "had PhD's in things other than Home Ec." Like what Curt? What are these other things. If you have a biased opinion - go ahead and post it, don't just hide behind a lie.

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 7:02 PM
Curt, you are making this up. So you just "listened to a conversation" and these women "had PhD's in things other than Home Ec." Like what Curt? What are these other things. If you have a biased opinion - go ahead and post it, don't just hide behind a lie.
Those facts are old.. Back when the so-called woman's movement in the late 70's was in it's hey-day, someone tried to prove that it was the environment not the genes that determined what roles children would assume. Needless to say, there were alot of red-face women because the little boys threw the dolls away and went after the trucks and stuff.:p
I guess you are who you are.....Just like POPEYE. ;)
Gary

Nancy Laird
10-09-2007, 7:53 PM

And how do you know he's making this up? And why do you think he's hiding behind a lie? I think that this has degenerated into flaming, don't you???:mad: :mad: :mad:

Nancy (73 days)

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 8:31 PM
Well, at the risk of another of my FAUX PAS, I say, whatever will be, will be. :o Apparently somebody has some issues. Hi Nancy:eek: :D :)
Gary

Dan Clark
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
This is a very interesting topic for me. I've always enjoyed watching people do the opposite of what is expected. For example, at my wife's Akido dojo, there are many women would study Akido intensely while their husbands sit on the sidelines (I'm one of those). I revel in the fact that my 60+ year old wife can kick tushie if she needed to. The fact that she's tougher than I am doesn't bother me one whit. (She's also a college professor and the best cook I know of. Awesome woman!)

But I digress...

Right now, there are three people who I admire greatly for the knowledge of hand tools and wood working - Bob Smalser (US), Derek Cohen (Australia) and Alf (UK). Bob and Derek are fairly well known here, but the only time I encountered Alf is in the UK Workshop forum.

Alf is a very prolific writer, whose reviews combine indepth knowledge of tools and woodworking, balanced analysis, clarity of writing, and a wry wit. In the UK Workshop, Alf is THE hand tool authority.

When I first read Alf's reviews, I thought Alf was short for Alfred or Alfie. Nope. Those are the author's initials. Alf is Alice Frampton. (Nobody knows what "L" stands for.)

For many men, this is a bit of a shock when we find out Alf is a women. But that lasts about 30 seconds. For the vast majority of guys, the sudden knowledge that Alf is a women changes our opinion of HER not one whit!

My personal reaction was "Cool!" I think that women bring the same things to the "woodworking" table that men do. And perhaps a little different perspective too. This is good. When someone provides me with knowledge and skills that help me achieve my goals, their sex, race, age, sexual orientation, or ethnicity is completely irrelevant.

And for the silly male twits who are threatened by women entering this male bastion... Well, tough! That's their problem!

If you haven't had a chance to read Alf's reviews, I strongly encourage you to check out the UKWorkshop forum. The extension is ".co.uk", not ".com". Look in the "Hand Tools" forum and click on the sticky at the top labeled "Hand Tool Review Links".

Also, Alf has a nice website called "CornishWorkship". Again, with the ".co.uk" extension. There's a lot of good information there, including tool reviews, step-by-step projects, tips for Galoots, and a link to her Blog.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., at last count, Alf has posted 10,583 times on UKWorkshop. Very prolific writer! :D

p.p.s, send me a PM if you have difficulty finding her posts or website.

Jim Dunn
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I've tried to get my wife in the shop numerous times. I thought that if I got her interested in wood working I'd have it made when I wanted a new tool, as she would get to use it too.

Unfortunately/fortunately we are now grandparents and her time is spent in other areas. She is a very prolific painter and has complemented some of my work with her paint techniques.

So there you have it. I think that women wood workers are great. I just wish that my wife would take a little time in the shop with me.

Chris Foley
10-10-2007, 9:18 AM
I really love this thread! :) My LOML is an artist (also a mechanical engineer) and I hope that I can get her into woodworking. Her talents could make my mundane creations scream for attention.

My take on all this would be "How do I get her interested?" I have seen some fantastic turnings that qualify as "ART". I have seem small delicate boxes with woods that make them "ART". [apologizing in advice for the mini-hijack here]

Michael Morgan
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
"chick" is a casual term I'd use with my friends. I don't think many people are offended by it - I'm not, and so I used it for myself. It's kind of like calling a man a guy. Perhaps it's regional. maybe "gal" is more common?

man/woman, lady/gentleman are more formal.
guy/gal, dude/chick seem more casual.

i don't much like the term "broad" - possibly because i hear it most often with the word "dumb" in front of it. :\

and - I don't think I've ever been called preppy before. I like to think of myself as "hip" haha!

Julie, some might not understand the "chick thing" maybe it's a burgh thing. All I know is everyone uses that term around here all the time. Both in good and bad ways.

Typical Pittsburgh guy would say " I seen a hot chick pumpin gas en that at the 711"

or

"some chick ran me off the road en that":D

julie Graf
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
hahahaha!

yeah, perhaps it is a picksburgh thing.

yinz goin' dawntawn ta see 'dem Pens dis weekend?

there's lots o' hawt chicks there n'at...

Ed Falis
10-10-2007, 1:04 PM
My wife got me into woodworking. She was a finish carpenter and then a commercial construction supervisor. I'm generally very willing to learn from her experience, and to occasionally surprise her that I've learned something she doesn't know. I still think she should have a home improvement tv show.

Heather Thompson
10-10-2007, 2:08 PM
Well this is my first post on SMC, but the thread is female woodworkers and I am one. I have been involved with woodworking since I was very young, my mom and dad did everything together and I was right there for all the projects. My folks remodeled their first house, woodwork, bathroom, kitchen, garage, landscape and the list goes on. I watched and learned, never afraid of being called a tomboy. In my adult life I was a technical designer in telecommunications, if you were to visit my office it would be common to see open copies of Fine Woodworking or Woodwork on the edge on my desk. Left the world of ones and zeros when the business became too lost in the Harvard Business School model. Went to Canada in 2005 for six weeks for a program at Rosewood Studio, well worth the time and money, wonderful program! My husband is handicapped and wishes that he could join me in the shop, he does provide assistance and design input where needed. I enjoy all forms of woodworking and continually work to improve my talent and style.

Dan Barr
10-10-2007, 2:24 PM
Where to begin? lol. I think common sense seems to have been written out of the idea of equality.

All the throwback stereotypes can be insulting coming from a perspective of idealism where one thinks only of how things ought to be. This has culminated in the "thin skin" of the average american. But, change takes time and minds are not changed overnight. much less behaviors. Most people agree with equality and understand it. Behaviors on the other hand are not reflecting those beliefs however. Until people actually start thinking without those assuming stereotypes, we will still have people assuming that men woodwork and women don't.

Actually keeping a mind "open" takes constant vigilance and a serious look at ones self followed up with the necessary effort to accept the fact that we all sterotype and that we all should change our behaviors accordingly.

Do you like to be the guy/gal at the craft show that asks the man how long it took to build the piece when the wife is actually the woodworker? I hate when i make that type of mistake and i feel like i am just perpetuating the dominance of sterotypes.

Sterotypes are useful and are a survival tool in the human arsenal. but, to progress beyond basic survival instincts is enlightenment.

just my two cents.

Dan

Gary Keedwell
10-10-2007, 3:33 PM
[quote=Dan Barr;673061]Where to begin? lol. I think common sense seems to have been written out of the idea of equality.

Actually keeping a mind "open" takes constant vigilance and a serious look at ones self followed up with the necessary effort to accept the fact that we all sterotype and that we all should change our behaviors accordingly.
I think we have come along ways from the days that the woman kept the fire going in the cave to stay warm and cook the meat that the man brought home from a long day of hunting and protecting his "home."
Through the centuries man and woman did their "jobs" according to their strengths and available tools. Obviously, man was (is) stronger and wasn't burdened with childbirth and care (nursing). Life was hard and unforgiving.
With the discovery of electricity and tools, (appliances) the roles of the sexes became less defined. Tools became more "user friendly" to the point that strength wasn't the main criteria for usage.
Modern inventions have freed everybody from the burdens that our ancestors had endured. ( At least here in the USA and a few other civilized societies). As our roles changed...so did our laws, which are supposed to keep us civilized.
That gets me to my question. If we get to the point where man and women are interchangeable, are we more civilized or less?
Sorry for the rambling...maybe this belongs on the Off Topic forum:confused: :) Gary

Tyler Howell
10-10-2007, 3:48 PM
What a delight this thread has been.
The shop was one of my daughters favorite hang outs in my home. Not WWs but capable young ladies in every sense.
The youngest is great with sheet rock and wonderful with taping, mud, and paint. A big help.
It's always much more enjoyable/productive to have a lady around.
I hope they can say the same about men.:o

Nancy Laird
10-10-2007, 3:55 PM
It's always much more enjoyable/productive to have a lady around.
I hope they can say the same about men.:o

I love having a man around, Tyler. He opens jars and kills spiders!!

Nancy (72 days)

Dan Barr
10-10-2007, 7:28 PM
Gary, in regards to your question...

"That gets me to my question. If we get to the point where man and women are interchangeable, are we more civilized or less?"

I believe that the respect shown to our fellow humans is a directly proportional reflection of the level of civilisation that we reach.

If we all respected each other perfectly there would be no war, no hate, no crime. a little dreamy, but theoretically true.

regards,

KILL SPIDERS!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL:D :D :D

Dan

Gary Keedwell
10-10-2007, 9:02 PM
"If we all respected each other perfectly there would be no war, no hate, no crime. a little dreamy, but theoretically true."
Hey. didn't Miss America say that?:confused: :D
I think in most parts of the world, they would settle for a square meal:o

Gary

John Keane
10-10-2007, 9:12 PM
I'm a retired Marine, thoroughly married, living in Mission Viejo, Ca. If some young lady (they would almost all be younger than me) would like to do or try wood working I would be most willing to help her get started. I do a lot of cabinet work (family mostly). My first assignment was a stool. I made a bunch of them and my grandkids still have them.

Dan Barr
10-10-2007, 9:21 PM
:D

Alright cheeseball! LOL I was just stating the obvious.

I dont know what she actually said but i assume youre right.

cheers,

Dan

Jim Becker
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
hahahaha!

yeah, perhaps it is a picksburgh thing.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to relive the old "pop" (PGH) vs "soda" (PHL) thing again that was prevalent in Happy Valley when I was a Penn State student...:p

Lori Kleinberg
10-14-2007, 1:02 PM
Just found this thread (I was out of town). Very interesting comments. My husband also gets a kick when we go to buy lumber, tools etc. The salesmen always defer to him and he loves to tell them they will have to talk to me.
I remember awhile back there was a magazine for women woodworkers. I got a sample copy and was totally disappointed. 90% of the projects had to do with flowers, although there was a nice cutting board design that I did use.
I started a few years back with a dremel and some small oak and pine logs. It wasn't long before I had an almost fully equipped shop with my lastest tool being a scroll saw.
I make a full range of projects for family, friends and gifts. Being disabled, there are times I need alot of help moving and assembling so a "weekend project" usually takes me about 6 months to complete.
Anyway it is nice to hear from other women and it is good to know that the term "woodworker" is not used to only describe a man.