PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a question

Greg Tatum
02-04-2004, 9:26 PM
After lurking a bit I guess it would be polite if I were to introduce myself...My name is Greg and I've been interested in woodworking for 4-5yrs now...while I have not made much more than a lot of sawdust and wood chips, I have collected a few good tools and a bit of lumber...my interest started with a facination with sawmilling and went from making lumber to figuring I could try to make something with it....I don't have a digital camera so no pics as of yet...my question is this; what is the best screw to use to join 3/4" maple ply? I am making a simple carcass with the full thickness top and bottom being joined to 3/8" rabbeted sides....how long do they need to be? The box will be a shoe stand (I think) 4'X3'. Thanks for any input.
Greg

Jim Becker
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Welcome, Greg! This is a great place.

As to your question, I would normally use a #8 or #10 square drive screw about 1 1/2" long for the application you describe in pre-drilled and countersunk holes. (I use the Jack Rabbit system for that) The screws largely provide clamping power and a little extra strength for the glue in this case.

Greg Tatum
02-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks Jim...I was geussing 1 1/4"('cause it's all I have at the moment:])...what is the Jack Rabbit system ?
Greg