PDA

View Full Version : Wood Splitting - Tool Advice

Ken Frohnert
10-07-2007, 7:58 AM
Wood Splitting - Tood Advice
I need to split some wood for recreational camping. I will not be splitting more than about a cord a year. In my teenage years I used a splitting maul to split wood for my parents. Now in my forties I need to get a splitting tool of my own; hwoever, I don't really know much about the mauls and axes.

1.) What do most of you use (yeah I know-besides the powered splitters)? I supose that the type of tool is a personal preference - to be honest I was not overally impressed with the maul - but it was a cheapo so that may not be fair.

2.) What size and brand of axe or maul do you recommend? Are there any good American made axes or mauls that are not way expensive. I don't mind paying more for an American made product but I won't go over the just to buy American.

Thanks for the information.

Jason Roehl
10-07-2007, 8:12 AM
I've split a little wood manually, but mostly I would just split all my wood (4-6 cords) for the year in a weekend by renting a hydraulic splitter. If the wood splits easily, nothing holds a candle to a maul. I have the all-steel type, with a large delta-shaped head welded to the handle. I would also recommend having a 12- or 16-pound sledgehammer and a couple splitting wedges in your arsenal.

The best advice I ever got using a maul is to work around large pieces of wood--don't try to split them right down the middle.

Dusty Fuller
10-07-2007, 9:24 AM
I had the misfortune/opportunity of bucking and splitting six 16" x 6' beetle-infested hickory logs using a single bit axe from a local hardware store. No chainsaw, if anyone was wondering. If you've got a chainsaw and can cut it to proper length, all you need is the axe. Maybe a froe as well to lever the pieces apart. Mine was done with the axe because I didn't have anything else and am too cheap to rent anything. Had more time than money. Good technique (read "hit it in the right place") is as good as anything. If you're really interested, see if you can find "Old Ways of Working Wood" by Alex Bealer, or anything on how things used to be done before machinery became common. I honestly found the axe to be addictive...

Jim Becker
10-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I have a "four way" wedge that does a very nice job at splitting logs when I find the need to do it the old fashioned way. (read: Fred's splitter is not in my driveway... :D) The point at or near the pith is easy to start with a few taps and then you can do a two-handed whack or three to drive it down into the log and split off sections nicely.

Ted Calver
10-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Couple of wedges and a maul work best for me on straight grained wood.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41260

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-07-2007, 1:42 PM
There is a foot operated splitter available from woodcraft. It will split a log up to 18" in Diameter.

I've used it. It's not as good as electric, but for the amount of wood you're talking about, you might like it. Price about $80.00.

Bruce

PS: It actually comes from Penn States Industries.

Al Wasser
10-07-2007, 4:07 PM
I'd just start with a good single it ax and go from there. For various safety reason don't use a double bit ax. Learn to know your wood and where it will split and where it will not. Learn that some wood splits easy when green and some splits better when dry. For just a cord of wood an ax should do the job. If you want to "crank it up" a notch to mauls or sledge and a wedge you can easily do it. Be safe -- no toes or an ax in a overhead branch, etc

Leigh Costello
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Al,
The overhead limb vs. axe reminded me of something my dad did many years ago. On a camping trip he was try desparately to get a fire going in a sudden spring snow storm. The kindling and twigs we had gathered were burning nicely. But we needed some "big wood." So dad, the mighty hunter of big wood took his trust axe and began chopping up some deadfall that was too large to carry. One chop, and a swarm of ants began to run everywhere. Two chops, and the ants were launched into the air. Three chops and the log flew apart, scattering ants and debris and a very irate 'possum. Dad was a very strong and invincible man. Except he absolutely hated 'possums. The 'possum hissed, dad jumped about a mile high and swung at the 'possum. Unfortunately, he miscalculated and the axe bit into an overhead branch and stuck. We were so busy laughing (mom, too) that I never knew if the 'possum ran away in fear or just got disgusted with us! Oddly enough, dad took us camping every weekend for years. (But he always made us gather firewood on arrival, just in case it snowed.)

Bob Smalser
10-08-2007, 9:22 AM
Two steep wedges and a 6-8lb hammer is all you need. A third wedge is required in case you get stuck, but that one can be wood or plastic.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3075040/29094193.jpg

We split the ant-infested hollow bases of cedar trees into fence rails.

Doyle Alley
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Splitting wood redneck style.

Hello, Is this the Sheriff's Office?"
"Yes. What can I do for you?"
"I'm calling to report 'bout my neighbor Virgil Smith.... He's hidin'
Marijuana inside his firewood! Don't quite know how he gets it
Inside them logs, but he's hidin' it there."

"Thank you very much for the call, sir."
The next day, the Sheriff's Deputies descend on Virgil's house. They
Search
the shed where the firewood is kept. Using axes, they bust
Open Every piece of wood, but find no marijuana. They sneer at Virgil
And
Leave.

Shortly, the phone rings at Virgil's house.
"Hey, Virgil! This here's Floyd.... did the Sheriff come?"

"Yeah!"
"Did they split your firewood?"
"Yep!"
"Happy Birthday, buddy!"

Rednecks know how to Git-R-Dun !