PDA

View Full Version : Why do my saws cut left????

Brian Hale
10-07-2007, 6:55 AM
Actually i know why, it's because i sharpened them :o

If i understand correctly it's because one side is cutting better then the other but i'm not sure which is what. The teeth look even and the flats from jointing disappeared evenly when filing but....

Both these saws are back saws, one is a 12" blade and the other is a 24" blade.

Brian :(

Mike K Wenzloff
10-07-2007, 9:58 AM
Good morning, Brian.

Generally, it is that one side is set wider then the other. In this case it the wider set side is the side it is pulling to. The remedy is to either hammer the set or to stone it. I would recommend stoning. Once slide of either a fine diamond plate or natural stone (not a water stone) from the heel to the toe on the side it pulls to. Try it, repeat if necessary.

It can also be due to too wide a set on both sides and it is the wrist rotating during the forward thrust.

It can also be that while the attempt was made to have even height teeth, the side it is pulling to have taller teeth.

Usually it is the first issue.

Take care, Mike

Brian Hale
10-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks Mike!!!

Looks like the first issue was the problem! :cool:

I actually took 3 passes with a 1200 grit diamond stone on the large saw and made it cut the opposite direction. One light pass on the other side and it's cutting pretty straight. The set is still a bit too wide as the kerf isn't as smooth as it should be but i feel like i'm on the right track. Still need lots more practice on these cheap saws before i get to the Disstons... ;)

Thanks Again ! ! !

Brian :)

harry strasil
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Brian, FWIW, I use a little trick I thought up to make the set even on my saws, I prefer very little set as the saws will cut faster (removes less material), and do no wander (narrow kerf). Once I get the saw started straight its awfulhard to get off the line.

After filing and setting the teeth, I use a piece of copy paper folded over and stuck down between the jaws of my bench vise which has smooth jaws and tape the ends down to the jaws with masking tape. Then I stick the saw down in between the jaws and close it firmly. What this does is let the sharp points of the teeth cut thru the paper and make contact with the metal jaws and the blade is sandwiched between the two sides of the paper and I get an even set on both sides equal to the thickness of the paper.