PDA

View Full Version : Tool inventory

Mike Jones NM
10-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Just spent the last couple of hours going over tools in the shop. Making sure I have the make, model and serial number of all the power tools and any hand tools that have serial numbers. Also a general list of other tools, you name it if it's in the shop it goes on the list with a value attached to it.
All of the higher value tools will soon have my last name and the last 4 numbers of my social security number engraved on them.
Anyone else do this?
I try to keep the list updated but with movng into the new shop I wanted to go over everything and make sure I had it all listed.
Mike

Jude Tuliszewski
10-07-2007, 12:26 AM
It’s a good thing to do, I have had doing that on the TTD list for a while now, as well as pics and or video. One of those things that always seems to get pushed down the list, but if something bad happened, man would I be kick’ in myself for not getting it done. Not to mention insurance co. do not like to hear, “trust me; I really did have…….”

Kyle Kraft
10-07-2007, 4:18 AM
I take my video camera around my shop while providing commentary on each item. I also take a shot of the nameplate or read off the model and S/N. My goal is to do this faithfully every year and just change the date on the tape. With the camera you can cover the whole house and shop in an hour or 2. I even open each drawer on my tool boxes, cabinets, etc. and narrate the contents. Make sure you store the tape off site, perhaps your desk drawer at work.

Ern Gumban
10-07-2007, 4:35 AM
my last name and the last 4 numbers of my social security number engraved on them.

Former military? To this day almost everything I own (especially my tools and firearms) are labeled. It's been a while since I've used my "last four" though. I just mostly use my last name or initials.

Ern

David G Baker
10-07-2007, 9:55 AM
Just spent the last couple of hours going over tools in the shop. Making sure I have the make, model and serial number of all the power tools and any hand tools that have serial numbers. Also a general list of other tools, you name it if it's in the shop it goes on the list with a value attached to it.
All of the higher value tools will soon have my last name and the last 4 numbers of my social security number engraved on them.
Anyone else do this?
I try to keep the list updated but with movng into the new shop I wanted to go over everything and make sure I had it all listed.
Mike
Mike,
Think about this, someone steals your tools and they end up with a double gift, the tools as well as your social security number. A better idea may to add your street address or some other number that won't give away the kingdom.

Jim Becker
10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Last four digits isn't the whole number, David...and there are millions with that same last four digits.

David G Baker
10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Jim,
I am a fast reader and a slow observer, I missed the part about the last 4 digits. (duh on my part) Makes sense using the last 4.

Mike Jones NM
10-07-2007, 2:46 PM
Former military? To this day almost everything I own (especially my tools and firearms) are labeled. It's been a while since I've used my "last four" though. I just mostly use my last name or initials.

Ern

Not former military, former Law Enforcement. Ya can use the last 4 of the SOC or in the alternative your drivers license number if that is assigned to you for life in your state. Our's is rather long so it's easier to do the SOC.

Paul Girouard
10-07-2007, 4:20 PM
Howdy boys and girls ;)

I'm new here but on etching tools my neighbor , a retired cop , told me use my driver lisence # , any cop , any where ,, can run that number but he can NOT use / or " run" your SS # legally without asking you . They sort of "know" what lisence # look like even thought the format varies from state to state. So make the cops job easier by using your drivers lis. # .

I have a woodworkers log book I got from Woodcraft years ago that I track serial # of tools and , project cost / material use etc in. All in one place . I also take photos of my tools and have them stashed on a photo hoster ( if that the right term :confused: ) I use photobucket a free , so far , online photo hosting service.

Paul