PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried M-Power precision sharpening system

Scott Houghton
10-06-2007, 8:25 PM
http://www.m-powertools.com/products/pss1/pss1.htm

Anyone tried this sharpening tool. The chisel stays stationary and the holder moves a DMT diamond plate over the tool. Saw it at Woodcraft and in Garrett Wade catalog. Seems like a cool idea, somewhat pricey...any opinions pro/com?

Bill Huber
10-06-2007, 8:52 PM
I will be watching this thread, I have been looking at this for awhile now and can't decide on getting it or not.

It looks good and no more then I am using my chisels at this time it sure would be handy.

Phil Thien
10-06-2007, 9:35 PM
Tried one. Too slow. I suppose it would be fine it you never dinged a cutting edge. But once you do, it takes forever to work it out with M-Power.

I ended up getting a Work Sharp 3000 thing. Much better.

Gary Keedwell
10-06-2007, 9:36 PM
First time I've seen it. Looks like it only sharpens in 2 angles. 25 & 30 degrees. They are two common angles, though.
Gary

Scott Pearson
10-07-2007, 2:11 AM
I tried one for a while and later sold it. I think it would work if it were wider, it sort if gets stuck going back and forth.

I would look at another sharpening option if I were you.

Scott

Brian MacDonald
10-07-2007, 1:45 PM
I've had one for about 2 months and have to agree, it's slow and it does stick quite a bit. A clamp on the frame would be nice, it's tough on the fingers, trying to hold the chisel/iron in place with one hand and shuffling the handle back and forth

Brian

Chuck Wintle
10-07-2007, 2:25 PM
Tried one. Too slow. I suppose it would be fine it you never dinged a cutting edge. But once you do, it takes forever to work it out with M-Power.

I ended up getting a Work Sharp 3000 thing. Much better.

Maybe a nick in the tool edge should be ground first at the grinder and then honed/sharpened by the M-Power?

Scott Houghton
10-07-2007, 7:44 PM
Appreciated everyone's input, looks like I will look at other options.

After posting, I did a more comprehensive search via Google and found a couple postings on here from 2005. GUess it is not so new afterall.

Those posts were generally neutral to negative by the way

Frank Hagan
10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
I think I'm probably one of those older posts. I don't like it, although the concept was very appealing to me. The quality of the diamond plate inserts is very low, and like the other posters, I find it hard to keep the chisel in position and then move the top portion forward and back. There's also a fair amount of slop in the fit of the movable portion to the base, so you have to take that into consideration too. I'm looking fondly at the Work Sharp when I get a few dollars ahead.

Phil Thien
10-08-2007, 8:04 AM
Maybe a nick in the tool edge should be ground first at the grinder and then honed/sharpened by the M-Power?

Or, if you don't have a grinder, you could take the money you'd spend on the M-Power and a grinder and buy the WorkSharp 3000. :)

A much better solution.