PDA

View Full Version : Help

Ronny Dear
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I recently started turning and purchased a rikon mini lathe. I am having a terrible vibration and cannot determine the cause. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?:confused:

Neal Addy
10-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Assuming the vibration is noticeable even when no wood is mounted...

Two things to check first:

1) Check to make sure all four feet are sitting perfectly flush to the benchtop (or stand). You may just need to adjust the feet to make it sit flat.
2) Check for run-out. Place a pointed spur center in the headstock and make sure it aligns perfectly with the point of the live center (in the tailstock). If not, you may have a spindle out-of-alignment.

If neither of these we can go from there. But they should be ruled out first.

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Assuming the vibration is noticeable even when no wood is mounted...

Two things to check first:

1) Check to make all four feet are sitting perfectly flush to the benchtop (or stand). You may just need to adjust the feet to make it sit flat.
2) Check for run-out. Place a pointed spur center in the headstock and make sure it aligns perfectly with the point of the live center (in the tailstock). If not, you may have a spindle out-of-alignment.

If neither of these we can go from there. But they should be ruled out first.

Yup, I concur AND agree. :D

George Heatherly
10-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I think you need to give us more information before we can really help. I would like to know some things like:

Does the lathe vibrate with nothing mounted?

Do you get vibration with the belt tension released?

What are you trying to turn when you get the vibration?

Is the lathe bolted or clamped to a stand/workbench?

Richard Magbanua
10-06-2007, 4:29 PM
Ronny,
Bill Ragland just bought one and had a similar problem. He posted this yesterday, I think. He's had alot of suggestions that may help you out. A few suggest his problem may be from loose set screws on the pulleys or the collar. Anyway, you may want to check it out. And congrats and good luck on your new lathe!

Dean Thomas
10-06-2007, 7:07 PM
Richard is exactly right. Talked to my Woodcraft guy. He says of the 20 or so that he's sold, he's only had one that had any problems. It had a loose pulley that went unnoticed until it had run a while. It popped off and he thinks it may have damaged either bearings or shaft. In either case, it's been replaced and the owner is a happy camper.

Might have been a new worker who did not know that Allen wrenches are used to tighten "6-sided socket-hole thingies."

Ronny Dear
10-06-2007, 7:24 PM
Thanks to all...I fixed the problem. I returned the Rikon and ordered a Jet 16-42. I'm sure I will get the results I am looking for out of this machine. I think it is always better to take a machine gun to a knife fight.:)

Neal Addy
10-06-2007, 7:28 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, I bet that fixes your problem! Man!! You don't mess around, do you? :cool:

Congrats on the 1642, BTW. That's one nice lathe!

Jim Kountz
10-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey Ronnie if that new Jet gives you any trouble dont fool around with it just send it right to me and go get yourself a Powermatic!! LOL Welcome to the creek.