PDA

View Full Version : want to upgrade going cheap whatis better?

John Nowack
10-06-2007, 2:27 AM
I am going to upgrade or at least change out my 1975 12" craftesman lathe (several reasons that i wont mention like the wobbling) i was going to buy the new Rikon Midi brand new from WC because it is on sale but a member of the club has found the following for the same price. I think it is 2 or 3 years old. My thought is that the delta is larger and has variable speeds. I was thinking that it may get me through the next evolution better than a Midi because it is larger. I am not willing to upgrade to the $1000 up to infinity price range yet.
here are some of the details. What do you think? Thanks (I should be abe to get it and some extras for under $300)

Delta Model 46-715 14" Cast-Iron Lathe includes a 3/4HP, 60 Hz., 9.8
amp motor; 12" cast-iron offset tool rest, 6" face plate with spur center
and 1" - 8 spindle, steel stand and instruction manual.

The Delta Difference
• Powerful 3/4HP, 60 Hz., 9.8 amp, easy speed change.
• Turn head stock 45 degrees, 90 degrees, and 180 degrees for bowl turning.
• Easy access on/off switch.
• 6" face plate, spur center and ball-bearing live center included.
• 12" cast-iron offset tool rest.
• Tailstock ram travel 3" through 3/4 thread.
• Steel stand included.
• 24-position index for ornamental work

Additional Specifications:
Motor
• 3/4 HP
Capacity (distance btwn. centers)
• 40"
Capacity (swing over bed)
• 14"
Spindle Speeds
• 600-2500 RPM
Capacities
• Swing over bed: 14"(356 mm)
• Swing over base: 10 1/8"(257 mm)
• Distance between centers: 40"(1016 mm)
• Drive Spindle: 1" -8 RH thread
• Drive spindle through hole: 7/16"(11 mm)
• Head and Tailstock Taper: #2 Morse
• Tailstock through Hole: 3/8"(9 mm)
• Tailstock Ram Travel: 3"(76 mm)
• Heat Index Lock: 24 Divisions
Overall Dimensions
• Length: 68"(1727 mm)
• Width: 20"(508 mm)
• Height: 54"(1372 mm)

Gordon Seto
10-06-2007, 7:31 AM
IMO, Take that Delta out of consideration. The 12" & 14" Delta with Reeves drive variable speed is well known for their troubles. 600 minimum rpm for a 14" lathe is too fast for unbalanced bowls. The off-set tool rest is a poor design. Bigger is not always better.

Take a look at the new Jet 1220. Jet is well known for its quality and service. Rikon quality is not as consistent.

Gordon

Rex Guinn
10-06-2007, 7:43 AM
I bought a Palmgren 15" with reeves drive and have had trouble with it. I think I would buy the Nova 1624 for my first lathe next time. For the $$$ spent I think it's a great value.

John Nowack
10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
is the jet 1220 different looks like it has a reeves drive also. I was told about the speed issue from another guy as well. won't be turning anything to big for a while

JET JWL-1236

Technical Details

3/4-hp single phase motor
Six speed 550 to 3,000 RPM
34-1/2-inch work distance between centers
Reeves drive plley system for quick speed changes
Pivoting headstock for outboard turning

Dick Strauss
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
John,
I own the 46-715 and really like it! I've had it for two years so I know it inside and outside. I wanted the extra capacity and had turned on the Jet Minis prior to purchasing the Delta. When I compared the price of the $300 Jet-VSs to the $400 Delta, my choice was easy. The Delta can still be had for as little as $400-450 if you are patient. I have also posted a speed mod for this lathe that will allow you to get down to the 200 rpm range with the Delta and turn large items safely.

Many poeple swear by their Jet minis. However, the Delta is the best lathe for the money IMHO. Everything about the Delta is more stoutly built. The 3/4 hp motor on the Delta feels like twice the motor of the Jet (I've turned on both the 10" Jet and Jet-VS minis). The Delta tool rest is not a tinker toy like the Jet (there are many stories of people breaking the Jet mini rests). The Delta headstock and tailstock are in different class from the Jet. The Delta toolrest extension is weak and will vibrate but it isn't really ever used (really only for outboard turning) so you shouldn't even factor it into the equation. The weak link in the Delta is the stamped steel legs that vibrate with an off-balance piece although the issue with the legs is really a non-issue after the speed mod. The big Jet 1236 is built better than 14" Delta in my opinion but is not worth the extra money given less capacity.

Remember that in many instances a stated 14" capacity really allows you to turn something in the 12.5-13" range and a 10" capacity allows for a 9" diameter item (when the interference of the banjo height is factored in). Also remember there are horror stories about every lathe model whether it be Rikon, Delta, or Jet (yes there are even bearing complaints about the PM3520s).

FYI- I have no experience with the Jet 1220s (nor do most people on this forum) since it is a new model and was just released a few months ago. If it were me I'd avoid it for a while to give Jet time to work out the bugs (especially at the $400+ range).

By the way, the stands are extra for the Jet Minis but are std for the larger lathes. The stand will add $150 to a 1014/1220s (assuming you don't want to build your own or clamp it to a workbench). If you want a Jet Mini with a stand, the price is almost the same as the bigger 14" Deltas.

Good luck with your decision,
Dick

Art Kelly
10-06-2007, 1:26 PM
I have the Delta 46-701 with the Reeves Drive. Lots to be said for all that cast iron. I bought it used about a year ago.

I've turned the biggest gnarliest root-ball pieces that would fit over the ways, and the lowest speed was OK. Go slow and wear a full face shield, at least until all the rocks are dislodged:eek: . I have 20-30 bowls roughed out and curing, plus a bunch of smaller stuff.

The drive pulley assembly (the little one on the motor end) finally gave up the ghost, but it was way easy to fix. One Allen wrench and one socket, IIRC. (I think I heard the lathe tell the drill press that, "If he sticks one more tree trunk on me, I'm going back to Todd's house!")

See http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/ I also found the owner's manual on line somewhere. If you need help finding it, send me a PM and I'll dig.

I just keep an extra drive pulley assembly (includes bearing) on hand now after hearing all the rumors about their reliability. It takes about 30 minutes to change out.

Sorta reminds me of the VW beetles of the '60s. "Easy to fix, and it's a good thing." $0.02:) .

Good luck,
Art

Dean Thomas
10-06-2007, 7:17 PM
Have a friend who sells lathes. His comment about a Delta in that only 2-3 year old range is that IF you get a good one, you'll be a happy man, but that's a big if. Delta's reputation for lathes has not been a good one for the last little while. I honestly do not know if they have remedied any of the complaints that turners had about them. I know of several companies who've stopped carrying them because they were viewed as a service liabilty or service nightmare, depending on who's relating the story.

Most people (no flames offered here) take to the tools or cars or software that they first obtain and unless there is some unfortunate problem, customer loyalty starts there. You get used to the way a tool works, how you have to hold your body to work on it, etc. One brand of lathe has a larger than others headstock and the spindle is smack next to it. TERRIBLY uncomfortable for me. Another brand has the headstock tapered so that much of the bulk is out of the way for me, and a third model has precious little metal where the others have a headstock. What works for your body? Some have absolutely LOUSY tool rest design. I'm willing to replace the tool rest for $30-50 if the rest of the lathe feels good, but if the rest of the lathe always feels "in the way", maybe not. On/off switches are the bugaboo of others.

I'm glad you're looking to replace your Craftsman, though. Hard working on a machine when you can't get replacement parts!

Gordon Seto
10-06-2007, 9:42 PM
is the jet 1220 different looks like it has a reeves drive also.

JET JWL-1236

Technical Details
3/4-hp single phase motor
Six speed 550 to 3,000 RPM
34-1/2-inch work distance between centers
Reeves drive plley system for quick speed changes
Pivoting headstock for outboard turning

The Jet 1236 has been discontinued. It was my first lathe. I upgraded it to a Jet mini.

The Jet 1220 is the soup up Jet 1014. It doesn't has variable speed. Member in our Club is very happy with this super charged midi.

A lathe is different from any other wood working machinery that has your wood feed into the spinning cutter. You have fence, guide to control the cut. A lathe is holding the spinning wood and you are holding the cutter in your hand. If the apparatus is shaking, you can't make a smooth cut. You don't want your surgeon to operate on when the operating table is shaking.

Gordon