PDA

View Full Version : Patio heater repair

Dave Sharpe
10-06-2007, 1:13 AM
I've got one of those "umbrella-type" propane patio heaters that has gone kaput for no good reason that I can see. Now that Fall is here I'd like to get it up and running again, but can't find any kind of owner's manual or parts list in my files or on the web. Bought it at Ace Hardware and they don't carry this brand anymore - can't recall the brand at the moment but it's not a big-name company. I've taken the whole thing apart to look for a problem, but don't see anything made out of wood so it's out of my usual element. I did replace the regulator since I somehow (out of the ethers I guess) that this is what usually goes kerflooey on these things, but no dice. My propane tank is good - it runs other appliances OK. I get a spark from the igniter but no pilot light, no flame, no hissing of escaping gas........

Any ideas?

Randy Denby
10-06-2007, 1:30 AM
Dave....take a look at the jets/orifices at the burner inlets and pilot assembly.. I have seen "mud dobbers" or other insects build a nest in them. ...quite often. (I'm in the heating/ac biz) Also, take the pilot assembly apart and see if you can blow thru the pilot orifice. They are really tiny and prone to plug.

Rich Stewart
10-06-2007, 6:17 AM
I don't mean to offend with this question. Are you pushing the safety override button prior to lighting? Check the thermocouple. 10 dollar part. It will not allow gas to pass if there is no flame on the thermocouple.

Craig D Peltier
10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Dave....take a look at the jets/orifices at the burner inlets and pilot assembly.. I have seen "mud dobbers" or other insects build a nest in them. ...quite often. (I'm in the heating/ac biz) Also, take the pilot assembly apart and see if you can blow thru the pilot orifice. They are really tiny and prone to plug.

Pilot might be clogged like he said.I rented these things for 10 years amongst millions of other items. If you cant figure it out call a rental company an ask to talk to the guy who repairs them. I.E. Abbey Rents here in WA> or David at R&R in bellevue.