PDA

View Full Version : Dog hole questions......

Brian Hale
10-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey All ! ! !

Tomorrow i'll be putting the dog holes in the 4.5"x 5'" board for the front of my bench and i was curious if i needed to put them on a ~3 deg angle if i'm using the 3/4" bench dogs from Lee Valley. See, they already have a chamfered/angled surface so it dosen't seem like a necessary procedure.

Also, what spacing do you folks have? My tail vise has about 10" of travel but i don't want them that far apart. About 3 3/4" on center look good to my eye.....

TIA!

Brian :)

jonathan snyder
10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Brian,

I would still angle the dog holes. You might want to use shop built wooden dogs at some point. I'm getting ready to start on a bench myself. From what I have been reading, it seems about 5" is what most folks are using for spacing on the bench and around 3 1/4 to 3 1/2on the tail vise. Layout you dogs carefully so it is pleasing to the eye and so they will not interfere with any vise hardware!

Just me .02 worth.

Jonathan

Edit: I assumed you were using square dogs!

Chuck Nickerson
10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
If you don't, you can use them from both sides.

jonathan snyder
10-05-2007, 11:32 PM
If you don't, you can use them from both sides.

Assuming you have a tail or end vise on both ends of the bench. Perhaps I'm not following?

If you do angle them be sure to angle the holes on the tail vise the other way!

Jonathan

Dave Anderson NH
10-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Brian, Holes for round bench dogs are not angled. Only the rectangular dog hole are angled. The angle on the face of the dogs themselves takes care of the problem.

Brian Hale
10-06-2007, 8:30 AM
Thanks Guys!

I should have mentioned they're the 3/4" round brass dogs so you didn't have to read my mind.... :rolleyes:

I'll drill them at 90 deg.

Jim Becker
10-06-2007, 9:01 AM
As Dave said...straight. I use the Veritas dogs and they are very nice. Make sure you get the rubber pads...I forget if they come standard or not.

Brian Hale
10-06-2007, 9:39 AM
Jim, the "Muzzles" are extra and i don't have any yet but sometimes i just drill a 3/4" hole through some off cuts and drop them over the dogs instead. It gives you a wider bearing surface to prevent dents and a larger "out-feed table" for hand plane work.... ;)

harry strasil
10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Brian, make your own Bench Dogs. Just use an ordinary short piece of 3/4 Dowel.

1. Chamfer the bottom end to make it enter the bench dog hole easier.

2. Cut a Saw Kerf in the bottom as shown and force some folded up paper towards the top of the cut so it spreads the thin side and makes a friction fit in the dog hole. Trim off the excess paper sticking out.

3. Cut a suitable flat on the top for holding material.

4. Get some "O" rings to use as depth stops.

5. You can use more "O" rings or an ordinary Rubber band wrapped around the top to make a non maring device.

6. If you accidently hit one with an edged tool, it does no damage to the tool.

7. They are expendable and easily replaced.

8. Mistake in the drawing, the kerf should be on the back side, so the dog top does not tip away from the material being worked.

Matt Chantry
10-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Chris Schwartz at Woodworking Magazine has put a few thoughts on spacing of dog holes. If you scan down or search this page, you'll find a few ideas.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/SearchView.aspx?q=dog%20holes

Marcus Ward
10-06-2007, 1:37 PM
I just cut my dog holes an hour ago. They're 3/4 square with the recess for the face, angled 2 deg towards the vise. They're about 1.5 inches from the bench face. I thought about round dog holes but didn't feel I could accurately drill holes that size through oak and not mess them up so I went with square on a glued on dog hole strip.

Eddie Darby
10-07-2007, 3:32 PM
Nice posts Harry Strasil!!! I've only read two posts from you and learned something on both! Thanks!

I like to use Lee Valley's Wonder Pups, and so I space my holes a little closer, around 3 inches.