PDA

View Full Version : Another Craigslist question?

Kent E. Matthew
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Okay, I am scanning the list everyday. There was one entry that if I would have started 10 days earlier I would have jumped on with both feet. A Powermatic 3 hp table saw with a nice fence for 800 dollars. I'll keep looking until I save enough money to buy a new one I guess. Then a thought crossed. What happens if I succeed? How do I get the damn thing home? I will probably be by myself, and I won't count on help from the seller.

Mickey Finn
10-05-2007, 10:34 PM
As my momma said, "never bring a girl home that you can't carry through the door yourself."

LOL

Dude, find a friend with a pickup truck, or rent a trailer if you don't own one. Moving dollies are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Recently bought a Delta Jointer floor model from Lowes. Already assembled. Had the Lowes' kid help me load it in the back of my Durango, but it was all up to me to get the thing outta there.

Wasn't a big issue, heaved it out by myself with a little wrasslin'. It wasn't till I read the manual afterward that found out the thing weighs 175 pounds.... cripes, I'm in better shape than I thought! :D

Figure it out... if you want it, you need to discover a way to get it home.

SCOTT ANDREWS
10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Uhaul with a lift gate.

Brian Ross
10-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Rent an engine hoist. They are portable and you could use it at both ends.I rent them all the time. I am a big fan of used machinery and that is a great buy.

Brian

Dave MacArthur
10-06-2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=594924&postcount=18
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=598279&postcount=8

How I got my PM66 home from a CraigsList buy.

Robert Conner
10-06-2007, 9:07 AM
I recently picked up two Unisaws on two separate occasions. I borrowed my Son's Jeep Cherokee. I used a couple of pieces of wood and blanket to protect the car and Saw as it was slid it in and out. In both cases the sellers helped tilt and lift it in. The top was left on but I supported the motor with wood blocks so as not to put tension on the mounts. If you are careful and pay attention to the physics involved it can be done quite easily. Do not try to dead lift it.
When I got them home it was the same thing, getting my neighbor to help slide it out onto a dolly. Just be careful and pad everything. If you have acess to a Minivan it would work even better since the rear hatch is lower to the ground.
Robert