PDA

View Full Version : emergency electrical question...please help

Jason Morgan
10-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I am planning on hooking up my sub panel tomorrow and got my feeder wire too short!:confused:

What are my options

1) crimp on another section and put the crimped part in a box
2) crimp on another section and wrap the crimp in doubled up heat shrink
3) try to return the 20' length of wire and get a 50'
4) eat the $40 worth of #6/3 wire and get 50'

help...

Steve Kohn
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Get more wire. It isn't worth the risk in trying splice the mistake.

Mickey Finn
10-05-2007, 10:17 PM

help...

Either one of these.

If you can get your money back, all the better.

If not, suck it up and buy what you need.

Bruce Page
10-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Get more wire. It isn't worth the risk in trying splice the mistake.

I agree. This isn't somethong to skimp on.
You'll sleep better too.

Bruce Wrenn
10-05-2007, 11:24 PM
If you can, set a junction box, and make connections with wire nuts. The ground has to be done in a buss bar, if I remember correctly. This is common and standard practice. I think you will need 6-3, with a ground for feeder wire. See if you can raise Rick. He is arragant, but usually right. Unfortunately for you the "stupid light" came on too late. Same for me a lot of the times.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Jason....I work with electronics and electrical mechanical equipment....MR scanners, CT scanners and x-ray equipment. I've been in similar situations. If you want to sleep at night, don't splice it. Get more wire.

David G Baker
10-05-2007, 11:36 PM
I am planning on hooking up my sub panel tomorrow and got my feeder wire too short!:confused:

What are my options

1) crimp on another section and put the crimped part in a box
2) crimp on another section and wrap the crimp in doubled up heat shrink

help...
Jason,
I just spliced my 3 #2 aluminum underground wire to my buildings that I broke with my tractor. It went well. I bought the splices at an electric supply business, they cost me $36 for all three, the brand name was Morris. I didn't try the Borgs so I don't know if they are cheaper there. If you do decide to splice and your wire is aluminum, get the paste and put it on the wire prior to tightening the lugs on the splice.
I did the same thing when I wired my pole barn, I paid $198 for three legs of #2 copper, I was ten feet short. This was 5 years ago, the same wire today would cost triple that in copper. I pulled the copper and replaced it with aluminum. If I had to do it over I would have spliced the copper wire.

Randall Davis
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM
See if you can raise Rick. He is arragant, but usually right.

I think you just "raised" him! :D

Rick Christopherson
10-06-2007, 3:37 AM
See if you can raise Rick. He is arragant, but usually right.

I think you just "raised" him! :D:D:D:D My thoughts exactly, on both counts.:eek:

It obviously wouldn't be my first choice, but you could splice these with a proper junction box. If you can work it out, I would suggest making this a service disconnect instead of just a junction. It will be easier finding a disconnect box at your local home center than it will be coming up with a sound method to splice the #6 wires.

Randall Davis
10-06-2007, 7:46 AM
See if you can raise Rick. He is arragant, but usually right. Unfortunately.

:D:D:D My thoughts exactly, on both counts.:eek:

Yep! USUALLY RIGHT not alway's. He likes to blow his own horn but offers some sound advise if he is medicated properly.:D I trhink you will see that he never ask any questions because in his mind he has all of the answers.

Rod Sheridan
10-06-2007, 7:48 AM
Hi, you can either splice them with compression crimps in a box, of you go this route I would suggest at least an 8" X 8" box for bending radius.

You will be able to purchase compression crimps with the heat shrink insulating sleeves from your electrical supplier. You will need to borrow or rent a crimper, and the box has to remain accessible for inspection, not covered by drywall etc.

The other option is a 60 ampere splitter which won't require a crimper, just the same access as above, or a disconnect switch as suggested on a previous post.

Of course if you don't have a place for a splitter/pull box/disconnect switch, you need to purchase a new length of wire.

Regards, Rod.

Jason Morgan
10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Lowes was nice enough to let me return my 20' chunk and buy a 40'. Plenty for the job.

Crisis averted!

Thanks again!

glenn bradley
10-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm doing my sub panel today and tomorrow. Throughout the planning I have run into things that I have pondered over as it would save me a little money. I finally fussed over it long enough to grind myself to a complete stop. In the end I have decided that an extra $50 or even an extra $200 is not much compared to the job.

Divide the money your trying to save by the number of years you are planning to use the installation. $200 divided by 2 years of use is a little over a quarter a day. Salt that with the possibility of problems requiring at best, a re-do and at worst, serious problems. For what you spend on coffee you could do it up right and have money left over.

Anyway, that's the way I've decided to go. That doesn't mean it right ;-)

Carl Crout
10-06-2007, 1:35 PM
Why are you buying wire from Lowes in the first place? Who ever heard of having to buy it in 20' pieces.
Go to a wholesale electrical supply and buy what you want. They sell it by the foot.
Yes they will sell to the public. I bought all of the electrical for my house and shop from two different wholesalers. They are glad to have the business.

David G Baker
10-06-2007, 1:48 PM
Glenn,
Just left Ace Hardware, they had two types and sizes of splices.
I am actually more comfortable with buying and replacing the wire. If Lowe's will take the wire back that you already purchased great, if not, you may find a use in the future for the wire you replace.
With copper as expensive as it is now, I am many dollars ahead having kept the wire that I had to replace due to my mis-calculation.
Prior to shopping at the Borgs for electric supplies I hit the local electric shop to compare prices and quality. Many times if I had bought locally the price difference was lost in fuel getting to the Borg.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2007, 2:15 PM
Can he add a little sub box in the middle of that line and install a big breaker thus giving him a legit splice within the box?

Vernon Taylor
10-07-2007, 4:57 AM
Why are you buying wire from Lowes in the first place? Who ever heard of having to buy it in 20' pieces.
Go to a wholesale electrical supply and buy what you want. They sell it by the foot.
Yes they will sell to the public. I bought all of the electrical for my house and shop from two different wholesalers. They are glad to have the business.
Could not agree more, I buy everything electrical from my local wholesale supply house.Why
1.I am lazy and don't want to have to search for what I need. They take my list and bring it to the counter.
2.Prices are generally at or below big box prices.
3. They know what they are talking about,while I am reasonably competent their advise has often saved me money and frustration by suggesting alternatives. I tell them what I am doing and they make sure I have what I need eliminating multiple trips to complete a project.
4. They carry the proper receptacles etc. for specialized applications.
5. I enjoy going there. No hassles.