PDA

View Full Version : HTC mobile base and Ridgid jointer

Dave Sharpe
10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I bought an HTC mobile base today from Rockler, and assembled it to place under my Ridgid jointer. The plans call for the two swiveling casters at one end of the rectangular base (both fixed casters on one short side, both swiveling casters on the opposite short side) With my shop layout, I want the rolling action to be the other direction, so I set it up with the fixed casters on the LONG side, and the swiveling casters on the opposite LONG side. I set the jointer in place and the whole setup seems a bit unstable to me. Since the jointer is by nature top-heavy, I worry about the whole thing tipping while moving the tool. Anyone else have any experience with this type of setup?

Bill Huber
10-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I have not used one of those bases so I really can not help you on that. I have a Ridgid planer and I use the Delta Universal base on it. I also use one on my table saw and they both are very stable.

The Delta only has 3 wheels, 2 in back and one in front that locks down so it will not move around.

Good luck...

Jim Callaghan
10-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I have the same base and the same joiner, I thought about putting the swivels like you did and changed my mind for the same reasons you are experiencing. I put my swivels on the narrow end and it seems OK, I have to move it slow, once locked down onto the floor its very solid.
Jim

Chris Fierro
10-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I have the same jointer and same base. And not surprisingly, the same problem. I tried shimming the slight gap between the edges of the jointer and the inside of the base. Not really helpful to do so.

I am thinking of making a plywood base to fit inside of the mobile base--I'd bet that bolting the jointer (maybe through the rubber bumper feet screw holes) to the plywood, and then somehow fastening the plywood inside the base would make it sturdier.

Brian Keith
10-06-2007, 2:39 AM
Not sure if this will help but I just got done putting one together(10 minutes ago) for my Delta Hybrid ts and noticed it was very wobbley. Took off the saw and checked the mobile base and noticed that the rails were not flat against the four corners. Some of the bolt were not tight so the rails cocked a bit under the weight of the saw. Adjusted the rails and all is flat now. Again not sure if this will help your situation.

John Emmerson
10-06-2007, 8:58 AM
I have an HTC base on my Band Saw - wasn't very stable so fitted plywood base. It improved stability but was not wonderful.

Quesne Ouaques
10-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I have the Ridgid jointer with a Woodcraft Universal Mobile Base http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114

The setup sounds pretty similar to yours, with two fixed and two swivel casters. In the assembly documentation, they actually warn the user against putting the swivel casters along the long edge. This is due to the unstable condition it creates when you try to move the tool.

I use this base on the jointer, my 110" x 32" workshop table and my 95" x 19" lathe/grinder stand. They are pretty rock solid as far as I'm concerned. I'm attaching a photo of the shop table setup. The fixed casters on the jointer can be seen in the background (I had to reduce the quality to upload it so I hope it's still visible).

glenn bradley
10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I have the HTC2000 and am not real impressed with it either. Fortunately I got it for a song during a sale a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, I am an HTC fan and they make some great bases. This just isn't one of them. It finally ended up here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448). With the additional weight in the base and the wide spread on the wheels it is stable enough for it's current use.

Randal Stevenson
10-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Did you make the base wider then the stand on the Ridgid? All the way to the backside (motor side) of the table?

Al Launier
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Quesne, that's a heck of a table!

Right now I'm thinking of getting/making a mobile base for my Ridgid jointer. The base is ~32" above the floor & it seems a bit low. I'm 5"11" & am thinking it might be better at ~36". Anyone else raise their jointer & if so, what is a comfortable height for you?

PS: I noticed the Hobby Horse Rocker on it & it looks like the one I just bought a pattern for from Woodcraft. After I get my shop set up (rearranging for new tools) I'm going to build one for my daughter's "future" child. You must have enjoyed building it. Any suggestions that might improve the design or build?

Mark Wooden
01-27-2013, 11:48 AM
I have four of the older, welded, HTC bases-(WT shaper, 20"bandsaw, PM100 planer and a Holytech 7.5 hp shaper) and I've been very happy with them, no 'tippy' problems. I suspect that the bolt together versions aren't rigid enough. Can you add a couple of bolts in tight holes you drill? Or tack weld the joints?

Quesne Ouaques
01-28-2013, 9:30 AM
The rocking horse pattern was from Grizzly. It's a really nice plan. I got it free when I bought my bandsaw. Woodcraft's plan may actually be the same, I'm not sure.

The main advice I can give you is to make the rockers "shallower" than you think they need to be. I created my horses exactly based on the plan. But they give so much forward and backward motion, that I am always nervous the thing will flip right over!

It has not happened yet, but next time I am going to make the rockers longer and with a shallower curve.