PDA

View Full Version : Todays gloat is.......

Chris Pasko
02-04-2004, 6:28 PM
About 6 or 7 other chisels are on back order and should be here shortly! Next stop....turning tools =).

Jim Becker
02-04-2004, 6:30 PM
Your're going to get blisters with all the honing you need to do! Nice haul on the chisels. "A size for every occasion"...I like that! :D

Terry Hatfield
02-04-2004, 6:50 PM
Chris,

You got ripped off!!!!!! All the cords are missing!!! :D

Nice haul. They sure are pretty.

Terry

Chris Pasko
02-04-2004, 9:13 PM
Thanks guys, now I just have to learn how to sharpen the carving chisels and I'm good to go. =).

John Miliunas
02-04-2004, 9:39 PM
HOW big did you say your shop is?! You might want to start thinking "addition" here in the real near future! Hey, nice score! Go for it. I can't wait to see some of the results! :cool:

John Weber
02-04-2004, 9:44 PM
Sweet! I've heard very good things about them. I have 1 AI turner chisel that works beautifully.

John

Peter Stahl
02-05-2004, 7:08 AM
Chris,

Btween you and Jim, the tool companies will be having record profits this year.

Pete

Bob Marino
02-05-2004, 7:37 AM
About 6 or 7 other chisels are on back order and should be here shortly! Next stop....turning tools =). Hi Chris,

Now to a open another can of worms..what system will you be using to sharpen these tools;>)? Congrats on one well equiped shop!!!

Bob

John Miliunas
02-05-2004, 7:46 AM
Hi Chris,

Now to a open another can of worms..what system will you be using to sharpen these tools;>)? Congrats on one well equiped shop!!!

Bob

Bob, I'm laying odds he has or will have a Tormek! Like, why not? Everything else has been 1st class! I'll stop now....Starting to turn green.... :D :cool:

Mark Singer
02-05-2004, 7:47 AM
Chris,
Terrific! Where did you get them?

Tyler Howell
02-05-2004, 8:44 AM
OK! Enough gloating! Let's see some product :D.

Alan Turner
02-05-2004, 9:07 AM
I'm guessing you shopped in NYC for these guys. Joel is very nice to deal with, and quite knowledgable. He has the Shapton stones, which I like alot.
I read a tip recently on lapping, which I will share with you, but can't yet vouch for. Instead of lapping on a stone, or on sandpaper on granite, glue down a 100 grit paper on granite, and then take a 100 grit abrasive screen, like they use for finishing drywall, and just lay it over the paper. The paper holds teh screen in place. Lapping with the screen lets the swarf fall into the recesses of the screen, and the lapping is much faster, and on a plane sole, tends to minimize the rocking that sometimes occurs from swarf buildup. I tried it on one chisel, and it worked quite quickly, but haven't yet done enough to vouch for it. I read this tip in a recent magazine that was otherwise unimpressive.
Have fun with your great new toys!

Lloyd Robins
02-05-2004, 9:17 AM
Wonderful purchase! Now let us know how the hunt for the perfect sharpening system goes.

Chris Pasko
02-05-2004, 9:27 AM
Hehe, thanks guys =), I cant wait to get to cranking with them.

As for the sharpening I have a Veritas deluxe sharpening system that is absolutely killer for my plane/chisel blades (anything straight). I haven't quite learned how to do curved blades yet, but may try.

When I order my turning tools shortly I plan on ordered the shapton stones with the diamond lapping plate, a nice grinder and the wolverine jig as well as some slip stones. That should hopefully take care and cover all aspects of sharpening.

I purchased the tools through the toolsforworkingwood website. I am dangerous on there, so much good stuff, I think I will pick up a Japanese hand saw next time as well.

I *almost* bought that shark skin handle beauty, but alas I resisted =).

-Chris

Chris Padilla
02-05-2004, 10:01 AM
OK! Enough gloating! Let's see some product :D.

Touche'!! :D :D :D

Chris Pasko
02-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Hehe, yeah I need to get to cracking, the darn floor situation is holding me up in my new shop, I will have it sorted out and making chips shortly.

Chris, I just got your drill and sand paper today hehe. I thought someone was sending me a present =).